Did the chin straps on Civil War caps fit under the chin?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Civil War caps and kepis had chin straps, but did the actually fit under the chin? There are few photographs where the chin straps were worn under the chin and in most cases they did not seem to properly fit under the chin. I will use this image of the University of Michigan militia to illustrate this.
me me mich.jpg

In this image it does not appear any of the chin straps could go under the chin. So what percentage of the chin straps would actually fit under the chin? It almost seems like the chin straps were for decoration and not really functional. If this is true, could have both sides saved money and time by making caps without chin straps?

I've always thought that style of the chin strap across the point of the chin looked silly, and it doesn't seem very functional either.

I don't think those people knew what the are talking about. It would seem extremely unlikely the Army would design a cap that the Army intended to also have been used as a bucket.

Would have not the Army kept the leather shakos as a cap as the leather shakos would make a much better bucket.

Last edited:
I also do not think the strap was used as a handle to carry items in the cap a soldier foraged for. Nor do I believe the Army designed the forage cap to carry foraged items in.

Looks like 3 goobers to me. The only chine strap I ever wore was on my steel pot and my Kevlar.

It looks like they are going to get a blister on their chins or lower lips from the straps and the middle fellow looks like he is going to bite someone!

Hi Major Bill.

The chin straps on those kepis/caps are of more or less the same design as the one on the USMC cover from your avatar photo. Sort of a doubled over leather strap that could be extended as needed.

Hi Major Bill.

The chin straps on those kepis/caps are of more or less the same design as the one on the USMC cover from your avatar photo. Sort of a doubled over leather strap that could be extended as needed.

I am wearing an Army uniform and not a Marine uniform.

When the image was taken I was a squad leader at Military Police Advanced Individual Training. My squad had 1 Regular Army soldier 3 National Guard soldiers and 7 Marines. Marine Military Policemen trained at the Army Military Police School at that time.

Back