Did the ANV Second Corps Create the Lost Cause?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I readily admit to not being an expert on the Lost Cause and Civil War historiography, but I think there might be something to all this.

When looking at the major Lost Cause writers who were former generals, one immediately notices that several were members of Jackson's corps. The few generals who disagreed tended to come from the First, with some from the Third Corps or the Western armies. Of course, this should be put into perspective - the majority of Confederate veterans more or less held to the basic premises Lost Cause regardless of what unit they served with. My main interest is in the "Marble Man" conception of Lee and elevating Jackson at Longstreet's expense.

I even think one could say the Lost Cause was born at one particular battle, that being Chancellorsville. As Longstreet and half his corps were away on the Suffolk campaign, the battle was fought by Lee and Jackson only. The latter's impressive flank attack and wounding helped the Lost Cause remember Jackson only at his best.

Back