Did President Grant Pay Too Much Attention to Blacks? A conservative newspaper thought so April 20, 1869

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The New York World was an arch-Democratic and very conservative newspaper. It routinely attacked Grant and Lincoln.

World
Tuesday, Apr 20, 1869
New York, NY
Page: 4

infinite1.JPG

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Unfortunately these views were pretty mainstream in those days. Even Hamilton Fish, Grant's secretary of state and a good colleague, found the descriptions of atrocities against blacks somewhat tiresome after a few years.

It has often struck me that some of the presidential firsts attributed to Teddy Roosevelt had actually been done by Grant. One was receiving African Americans in the White House. I've seen Roosevelt's controversial hosting of Washington Carver written of as unprecedented. Of course, we know of a president who had set that precedent.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Unfortunately these views were pretty mainstream in those days. Even Hamilton Fish, Grant's secretary of state and a good colleague, found the descriptions of atrocities against blacks somewhat tiresome after a few years.
I think the author is trying to mine a different vein. He depicts the president's time as a scarce resource, and any moment given to blacks is one that deprives whites (who have a juster claim on the president).

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!