Did Molly Tynes, Southern Heroine aka the Confederate Paul Revere, Ride the Night of Col. Toland's Raid?

Look, I'm not trying to keep arguing with you . You're mind is made up. However when you said "Wytheville and its people were not in danger" is up for debate...especially a female. Besides, if you truly believe that the residents weren't in danger than why in the Sam Hill would Molly subject herself to that ride? Anytime who one hears "the Yankees are comin'"

Do me a favor and knock off the "holier than thou" attitude please. Besides I'm born, raised and residing in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio and considered a "Yankee" and I don't take offense to the term. My POV on this subject is from a woman at their mercy down South. Obviously yours is not. You seem to be trying to "defend" those who took advantage of civilians, especially defenseless women, under the guise of war.
Do the lyrics to "Yankee Doodle" offend you too?

Ths is not a numbers game. That one person found themselves in the path of war is just as unfortunate and unfair for that one.
You made it a numbers game...civilians were hurt/died much more in the South yet you try to reconcile that with that it was a war and that's what happens. "Found themselves?" They were living their lives until the "holier than thou" told them they were all wrong and the rich politicians didn't agree with one another. Some mother stirring a cast iron pot outside her cabin ( BTW-no slaves) in the foothills of the Appalachians could've cared less about politics until she heard the Yankees were coming to burn her out and kill her husband/sons. No internet back then-even they are usually inaccurate to boot...IN fact many people were illiterate at the time but their male blood was fighting for their homes. You will never be empathetic because you seem to be on a mission against innocent Southern women/children. . I'm done with your fantasy that Southern women basically "deserved it" because other's decisions to go to war. You know nothing of their plight of survival in the war torn South. Emaciated, shoes made of corn husks, surviving on toast etc. Have a nice evening...I'm done discussing this subject with you.

...if you truly believe that the residents weren't in danger..

There's no indication in this account that the residents were in danger, so neither of us will project that they were in danger or not, right?

than why in the Sam Hill would Molly subject herself to that ride?

Good question. A stop at the telegraph office might have sufficed.

...My POV on this subject is from a woman at their mercy down South.

Well that does explain what's going on here. You could have mentioned that before you started in on this.

You know it's ok to pretend, we reenactors do it all the time. But as a woman living in Cleveland in 2019 you simply cannot own the POV of a woman at the mercy of the Unions down South in the 1860s. That would be the presumptuous thing.

...You seem to be trying to "defend" those who took advantage of civilians, especially defenseless women, under the guise of war.

That's a step over the line, Belle. We're both better than that.

Last edited:
...civilians were hurt/died much more in the South yet you try to reconcile that with that it was a war and that's what happens. "Found themselves?" They were living their lives until the "holier than thou" told them they were all wrong and the rich politicians didn't agree with one another. Some mother stirring a cast iron pot outside her cabin ( BTW-no slaves) in the foothills of the Appalachians could've cared less about politics until she heard the Yankees were coming to burn her out and kill her husband/sons. No internet back then-even they are usually inaccurate to boot...IN fact many people were illiterate at the time but their male blood was fighting for their homes. You will never be empathetic because you seem to be on a mission against innocent Southern women/children. . I'm done with your fantasy that Southern women basically "deserved it" because other's decisions to go to war. You know nothing of their plight of survival in the war torn South. Emaciated, shoes made of corn husks, surviving on toast etc....

That's quite the novel (I mean really:"Some mother stirring a cast iron pot outside her cabin"?), but let's just stick to what we know about this incident.

Empathy is good, but don't we, for the sake of others, refrain from projecting that into a cause?

Having said all that, imho I think the much broader issues being brought up are valid, just not here.

Last edited:
But as a woman living in Cleveland in 2019 you simply cannot own the POV of a woman at the mercy of the Unions down South in the 1860s. That would be the presumptuous thing.
So I guess my mother in law is lying about her ancestors? In fact, she helped me choose the AKA Belle Montgomery for my Reenactment named after her own great aunt! Tsk Tsk on you! I'd pay good money to see you challenge her! LOL

Last edited:
...So I guess my mother in law is lying about her ancestors?

Didn't you mean to say that that your mother in law is not lying about her ancestors? Of course.

In fact, she helped me choose the AKA Belle Montgomery for my Reenactment named after her own great aunt!

That is special, Belle. Not many of us have that.

Tsk Tsk on you! I'd pay good money to see you challenge her! LOL

...challenge her about what, exactly? If she directly told you that the civilians in this very incident were attacked by the Unions then of course she has the evidence for it, she doesn't lie. The question now is why have you been stringing us out with all kinds of suppositions if you've had the actual skinny on the event all this time?

Last edited:
Back