Did Hancock do anything wrong at Gettysburg

whitworth

2nd Lieutenant
First, Hancock did many things right, and historians have enumerated those facts. But Hancock did some things very wrong for a corps commander, though it was his first experience, beyond the division level.

Hancock lost half his ammunition wagons in the rear, when he moved his corps to Gettysburg.

Hancock ordered and used up all his division's long range artillery, before Pickett crossed towards Cemetery Ridge. Hancock's corps artillery, with complete view of the marching Confederate army, could only sit quietly until Pickett, Pettigrew and Trimble came into canister range.

I doubt there was an AoP artillery soldier on Cemetery Ridge that day, who didn't forget why Hancock's long range artillery was silent, as Pickett crossed towards the 2nd Corps lines.

Henry Hunt, the AoP Artillery Commander, wanted to hold fire and wait until the Corn-feds were very close and then open with a devastating barrage. Hancock knew that if he silenced his guns, his men may feel unsupported during the Corn-fed barrage. Thus he countermanded Hunt and fired anyway just to keep his men's morale up.

Hancock may not have been perfect, but he was good enough for gubmint work and held the line. Now, if it had been Burnside, he'd find a narrow creekbed to cross and then get held up by a handful of Confederates. Even Ewell would have outflanked Burnside ala Jackson.

Hancock's Artillery

It is good to remember that Hunt did have artillery, not under Hancock's direct command, that did deliver long range artilley against Pickett's Charge from Cemetery Ridge, Little Round Top and Cemetery Hill.
Hancock's Corps artillery remained silent as it had fired all its long-range ammunition, under Hancock's orders.

Hancock, Howard and Meade get a "thanks," but Sickles gets a Congressional Medal of Honor. Go figure. I sure hope that a Thanks of Congress means a whole lot more than a Medal of Honor. Just a thought.

Bart :thumbsup:

Hancock, Howard and Meade were not so well connected, nor did they "save the Union Army's bacon" on that second day.
Ole

ole said:
Hancock, Howard and Meade were not so well connected, nor did they "save the Union Army's bacon" on that second day.
Ole

So who did "save the Union Army's bacon" on day 2?

jk:confused:

Big advocate of Hancock in terms of his presence in command of infantry. With respect to arty I feel he still held some archaic views on arty deployment. Let's just say I am glad that Hunt had a little more freedom of movement for independent command than he had with Hooker. Hunt's presence was felt on several different sectors of the battle over the course of those three days.
Regards,
Spartan

Who help save the AoP on July 2nd

One should give some credit to the AoP artillery, Col. Freeman McGilvery and Gen. Henry Hunt.

Back