Did Conscription help or hurt the Confederacy?

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Has we know the CSA was so short of manpower that by April 16 1862 it had to resort to concription to fill its dwindling ranks. The Union would have a draft which meant not all eligible men would have to enlist one year later.
I will argue that conscription hurt the CSA more then helped of course feel free to argue differently. Gen. Kirby Smith CSA estimated that by the end of April 1862 has many has 7k young men from East Tn fled to Ky where they then joined the Union Army to avoid the CSA conscription. Very few men from East Tn joined the Union Army prior to the Conscription act. See p.122 Licolnites and Rebels A divided town in America Robert McKenzie Oxford Univ Press.
Leftyhunter

You deliberately are misquoting me. I have stated in past thread's one third of the Union Army regiments were employed at least part of the time in counterinsurgency. Most of the one third of all Union regiments switched back and forth from conventional to counterinsurgency. I detail that in my thread " Compare and Contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations".
Leftyhunter

No, I'm not, whether Union regiments switched back and forth from conventional to counterinsurgency or not you are still saying that one-third of the Union regiments were “employed at least part-time in counterinsurgency”. Nether you not I implied they were always the same regiments during that time.

Vote Here:
No, I'm not, whether Union regiments switched back and forth from conventional to counterinsurgency or not you are still saying that one-third of the Union regiments were “employed at least part-time in counterinsurgency”. Nether you not I implied they were always the same regiments during that time.
Stating that one third of the Union Army regiments is engaged in counterinsurgency is not the same as stating one third of the Union Army was spending some time on counterinsurgency.
I have shown in my thread " Compare and Contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations" which Union regiments spent which amount of time engaged in counterinsurgency.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Stating that one third of the Union Army regiments is engaged in counterinsurgency is not the same as stating one third of the Union Army was spending some time on counterinsurgency.
I have shown in my thread " Compare and Contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations" which Union regiments spent which amount of time engaged in counterinsurgency.
Leftyhunter

Lefty, you said in some earlier post that a third of Union regiments were tied down at some point in time during the war – either they were or they were not.

Vote Here:
Lefty, you said in some earlier post that a third of Union regiments were tied down at some point in time during the war – either they were or they were not.
We should continue this debate on the appropriate thread " Compare and Contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations".
Let's try to stick to the OP of this thread.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
You were just provided it yesterday.
Leftyhunter

Do you mean post 132: “I have cited my sources many times.” or maybe post 135: “If anyone needs sources that Confederate Militia tortured women to find the whereabouts Confederate deserter's or Conscription dodgers let me know and U will gladly send a link.”

Vote Here:
Do you mean post 132: “I have cited my sources many times.” or maybe post 135: “If anyone needs sources that Confederate Militia tortured women to find the whereabouts Confederate deserter's or Conscription dodgers let me know and U will gladly send a link.”
No see post 144 and 145 in @gem thread " how common was hatred between soldiers in the Civil War". I already sent you two alerts.
Leftyhunter

Reactions: gem
Vote Here:
I can only imagine the eye-rolling Yankee reaction if a foolhardy pro-South/pro-Confederate poster offered this up as their sources.
Highly doubtful proposition. David Williams is a long standing professor of history and his sources are listed. Latter I will check on William Trotter . If you have a valid criticism then list it otherwise it's just an opinion.
Leftyhunter

Vote Here:
Highly doubtful proposition. David Williams is a long standing professor of history and his sources are listed. Latter I will check on William Trotter . If you have a valid criticism then list it otherwise it's just an opinion.
Leftyhunter
Trotter was an author and historian from North Carolina. He has writtten a trilogy of historical books on the Civil War in NC. Also two works of historical fiction taking place in NC during the civil war. He has also written two historical books on the Russo-Finnish War. As well as being one of the most renowned experts on classical music in the Southeastern United States. I believe he has been deceased almost a year. Yep, I would say he had some credentials.

Vote Here:
"Just because you don't like someone does not mean that they are an unreliable in terms of accuracy"

Anybody who wrote what he did about the Lumbee Indians, the Lowrie gang in particular, in my area and attempts to pass it off as accurate history is not only unreliable, but incompetent, dishonest, and possibly in the business just to rake in the bucks. The discerning reader should look askance at anything written by David Williams, at best it makes for poor fiction.

Vote Here:
Back