Did Civil War soldiers ever carry more than one canteen?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In the field I often carried two canteens on my belt and if I was wearing a large pack I might add a third canteen on the side of the pack. I hated going without water to drink. It also helped that I had witnessed soldiers who died from heat strokes partly do to dehydration. In some areas of campaigning during the Civil War good water was hard to find. This made me wonder if some Civil War soldiers would carry two canteens?

In the CW canteens being regulation issue where only one was allotted, I believe it was possible a soldier might purchase an additional one for his own use. I haven't come across any mention of it though. Most times, the marches were so hard the men would dispatch extra weight, not carry more, and water is about 8 pounds to the gallon. One quart is thusly 2 extra pounds.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
Though I haven't seen mention of extra canteens in all of the diaries I've read, AND with the large number of people serving in both Armies, I would suspect that a certain number of them carried an extra canteen (procured from a corpse, capture, etc). I do not see why it could be said that no one carried an extra canteen, as the sheer numbers of troops involved during the War suggest that it is possible that some troops did carry extra water. Though, I suspect (due the the lack of it being mentioned in diaries) that number was low.

Vote Here:
Though I haven't seen mention of extra canteens in all of the diaries I've read, AND with the large number of people serving in both Armies, I would suspect that a certain number of them carried an extra canteen (procured from a corpse, capture, etc). I do not see why it could be said that no one carried an extra canteen, as the sheer numbers of troops involved during the War suggest that it is possible that some troops did carry extra water. Though, I suspect (due the the lack of it being mentioned in diaries) that number was low.
This got me to thinking the supply wagon for a brigade would most likely carry extra supplies such as this.
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
Back