Discussion Did Cinco De Mayo Turn the Tide in the Union's Favor ?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

gary

Captain
No, but it certainly relieved any concern about a French puppet on our border. Cindo de Mayo should be honored by Americans who appreciate the French/European threat in the New World.

wbull1

Sergeant
Cinco de Mayo was a message to the French from the Mexicans that they would fight for their freedom regardless of the forces against them. It was sort of like Bunker Hill in the American Revolution. "This is not going to be as easy as you think."

I'd say no.

There are some who speculate that there would have been French troops at Gettysburg if it had, which I can't help but chuckle when I see it in a book. The French were never gonna intervene so long as there was no British or even Spanish support, they didn't invade Mexico without it.

I personally find Puebla irrelevant as the French succeeded in their immediate aims, and made no difference on the border with the CSA and USA, as they had the run of it for quite a spell, and outside of the Battle of Palmito Ranch never did anything in our war except trade. Lincoln and other Union leadership supposedly worried about to till the end of the War, but nothing real important ever came of French control of the Mexican side of the Rio Grande in our war that was game changing.

gem

2nd Lieutenant
The reason I brought it up is I came across the following article:

How Cinco de Mayo Helped Prevent a Confederate Victory in the Civil War
https://www.history.com/news/cinco-de-mayo-battle-puebla-civil-war

"Cinco de Mayo actually marks the unlikely defeat of elite French forces by an undermanned Mexican army in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. In fact, this underdog Mexican victory may have played a part in preventing French Emperor Napoleon III from helping the Confederacy win the American Civil War.

The lead-up to the battle began in 1860 when the Mexican government, bankrupt after decades of internal conflict, announced it was suspending debt payments to its European creditors for two years. Spain, the United Kingdom and France didn’t like the delay and sent over joint forces in 1861 to collect on Mexico’s debt. Spain and the UK ended up cutting deals, but French Emperor Napoleon III, a direct descendent of Napoleon Bonaparte, had other plans.

Napoleon figured if he could get his hands on Mexico, it could become the first colony in a new French stronghold in Central America. Abraham Lincoln was busy fighting the Civil War, so the Americans wouldn’t stand in Napoleon’s way. Even better, with a French puppet government installed in Mexico City, Napoleon could provide guns to the Confederacy in exchange for Southern cotton, a scarce commodity in Europe thanks to Union shipping blockades. "

see link for full article

The reason I brought it up is I came across the following article:

How Cinco de Mayo Helped Prevent a Confederate Victory in the Civil War
https://www.history.com/news/cinco-de-mayo-battle-puebla-civil-war

"Cinco de Mayo actually marks the unlikely defeat of elite French forces by an undermanned Mexican army in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. In fact, this underdog Mexican victory may have played a part in preventing French Emperor Napoleon III from helping the Confederacy win the American Civil War.

The lead-up to the battle began in 1860 when the Mexican government, bankrupt after decades of internal conflict, announced it was suspending debt payments to its European creditors for two years. Spain, the United Kingdom and France didn’t like the delay and sent over joint forces in 1861 to collect on Mexico’s debt. Spain and the UK ended up cutting deals, but French Emperor Napoleon III, a direct descendent of Napoleon Bonaparte, had other plans.

Napoleon figured if he could get his hands on Mexico, it could become the first colony in a new French stronghold in Central America. Abraham Lincoln was busy fighting the Civil War, so the Americans wouldn’t stand in Napoleon’s way. Even better, with a French puppet government installed in Mexico City, Napoleon could provide guns to the Confederacy in exchange for Southern cotton, a scarce commodity in Europe thanks to Union shipping blockades. "

see link for full article
A lot of "what ifs". If the French were able to clear out the anti-French forces from Northern Mexico and if the French deployed coded to barter weapons for cotton that's leads to other what ifs.
The US can certainly retaliate by arming as many anti French Mexican forces as they can via the South Western territories and from Southern California. The US would definitely have to capture Brownsville Texas perhaps a bit sooner. The US would certainly be justified in building ships for Mexican sailors to conduct commerce raids on French shipping world wide. French grain imports could end. In short once we go with what ifs things get very slippery as Ole used to say.
Leftyhunter