Did anything go on in Parkersburg West Virginia during the war?

Kentucky Derby Cavalier.

First Sergeant
Hey guys and gals. Out of curiosity, do any of you know about what when on in Parkersburg WV from 1861-1865? I know alot about it already. I know it was a terminus for the B & O railroad, and that McCllenan lead his units through there to central WV. I know about Fort Boreman. and the hospitals that were in the city. Did anything else go on? Any riots or civil unrest? Or strong orators coming to town? I ask because it's placement is precarious, so if anyone knows anything let me know. Please and thank you.

fort boreman.jpg

After having some problems with alcohol in Bellaire and being cooped up on their steamer for for four days the 19th Ohio finally arrived at Parkersburg at about dark. They were now in the land of the secesh where they joined other regiments at Camp Kanawha to build an army of six thousand men. In just weeks thy would see action at Rich Mountain. Entering the "Rebel" community Anonymous described them that "in the first place they look very much like other people, in the second place they act pretty much like other people and in the third place they pretty much live like other people and in the fourth place I think they are pretty much like other people."

During the early morning of June 25 the regiment arrived at Clarksburg after a ride of eighty-five miles from Parkersburg. The railroad was noted for its twenty-three tunnels between Parkersburg and Clarksburg. Anonymous joked that he knew the Northern States had an Underground Railroad, but wasn't aware, until then, that Virginia also had such an institution."

After having some problems with alcohol in Bellaire and being cooped up on their steamer for for four days the 19th Ohio finally arrived at Parkersburg at about dark. They were now in the land of the secesh where they joined other regiments at Camp Kanawha to build an army of six thousand men. In just weeks thy would see action at Rich Mountain. Entering the "Rebel" community Anonymous described them that "in the first place they look very much like other people, in the second place they act pretty much like other people and in the third place they pretty much live like other people and in the fourth place I think they are pretty much like other people."

During the early morning of June 25 the regiment arrived at Clarksburg after a ride of eighty-five miles from Parkersburg. The railroad was noted for its twenty-three tunnels between Parkersburg and Clarksburg. Anonymous joked that he knew the Northern States had an Underground Railroad, but wasn't aware, until then, that Virginia also had such an institution."
Wow, cool. Are you from Ohio? Do you know the area?

Your best source would be "Wood County, West Virginia, in Civil War Times", by H.E. Matheny. I would get it through your interlibrary loan, as it takes while to find a reasonably priced copy, people selling books these days seem to go in for "Holy Grail" pricing.

I recall one funny story, a rumor went through Parkersburg that a rebel force was near and about to enter the city and suddenly a lot of secession flags appeared in windows but the rumor was false and the flags were quickly removed.

Your best source would be "Wood County, West Virginia, in Civil War Times", by H.E. Matheny. I would get it through your interlibrary loan, as it takes while to find a reasonably priced copy, people selling books these days seem to go in for "Holy Grail" pricing.

I recall one funny story, a rumor went through Parkersburg that a rebel force was near and about to enter the city and suddenly a lot of secession flags appeared in windows but the rumor was false and the flags were quickly removed.
Thank you for the recommednation, I'll look into that.

And that story is hilarious HAHAHAHAHA!

Wow, cool. Are you from Ohio? Do you know the area?
I just saw that this thread was revived. I am from Ohio, actually Stark County where the 19th Ohio originated. I researched and wrote its story. This story is on their way to Rich Mountain in July, 1861. The railroad is now the North Bend Rail-Trail. I have biked through some of those tunnels, not knowing then the history I now know.

Not really an expert, I would imagine Parkersburg would have seen many western regiments pass through the area.

Back