Diary of a Virginia Confederate soldier

Larry,

Thanks for sharing the diary of your ancestor with the Forum. You must realize how fortunate you are to know where some of your ancestors, who participated in the war, were stationed, and actually fought against each other. (Msg. # 11). I'm still trying to trace several of my ancestors who fought in the war, and I keep running into "dead ends". But the search is really interesting and provides so much information about the war, that it more than pays for the frustration involved.

Rebelrose

Larry,

Re: Msg. # 18...The sentiments of your ancestor, at the end of the war, are very similar to those of some of my ancestors, as expressed in a few letters remaining from the war. I would enjoy reading those letters once again, but they are in the possession of an older relative who doesn't want to "share" them with the rest of the family. (I think there had been a "feud" between some of the cousins, or something to that effect). Anyway, maybe someday I'll have the chance to read them again.

Rebelrose

Larry,

Re: Msg. # 18...The sentiments of your ancestor, at the end of the war, are very similar to those of some of my ancestors, as expressed in a few letters remaining from the war. I would enjoy reading those letters once again, but they are in the possession of an older relative who doesn't want to "share" them with the rest of the family. (I think there had been a "feud" between some of the cousins, or something to that effect). Anyway, maybe someday I'll have the chance to read them again.

Rebelrose

Old folks holding on to information and sibling squabbles are a part of the great sport of genealogy. I suppose after keeping something for a lifetime, one tends to cling to it, as in letters or documents, originals perhaps. One thing I've learned in my travels is that the best way to preserve information is to share it. Hopefully I have done some of that.

Thank you very much for this post! It has shed light on the movements of my two great uncles unit. John Franklin Sorah & James Owen Sorah. Both survived the war which i find rather

Back