1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Detroit Light Guard Muskets.

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by major bill, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM.

1. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

I was wondering about the gold or silver shield talked about below.

"In 1861, they had 60 State owned rifled muskets with accruements, 6 Colt revolvers and 8 noncommissioned officers swords. The rifle stocks were varnished, the locks and screws blued and the barrels burnished. Many men attached gold or silver shields on the rifle stocks; the shields were engraved with the men’s identification number. At the end of the company’s three months of active service, these personalized muskets were turned over to the Ordinance Department."

This company could not be the only militia company which put identification shields on their muskets, so what did these shields look like?

Jobe Holiday likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. drjekyll76

drjekyll76 Private

i might have something like that on my Bridesburg Conversion that i had recently picked up. now i dont know if its the same thing as to what your talking about but it could be similar though.

4. major bill

The the I am thinking of this is that the Detroit Light Guard may not have been the only unit to do this. It is even possible that militia units kind of copied other militia companies.

5. drjekyll76

drjekyll76 Private

anything is possible, i could take a quick photo of mine if you want to see what it may or may not look like to what your referring to

major bill likes this.
  6. major bill

I would like that if it is not to much trouble. I am thinking of having a artist help me prepare a uniform plate of the Detroit Light Guard for the Company of Military Historians Uniforms in America series. I could have the artist turn the musket to hide the shield, but it would add detail to show the musket with a the number plate. Right now I do not have enough information to include the number plate and would hate to include it unless I could make a good educated guess.

7. drjekyll76

drjekyll76 Private

ok here you go, this is what my shield looks like and where it was placed. hope this helps you out on what your looking for .

Attached Files:

originalrebelyell and James N. like this.
  8. major bill

That looks great.

9. drjekyll76

drjekyll76 Private

glad that i could be some what of a help onto what your searching for

10. originalrebelyell

originalrebelyell Private

That is very interesting, thank you for posting the photo.

drjekyll76 likes this.
  11. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

A very nice shield, although on a post war Needham. All pre-war, or wartime shields I have seen were inlet into the wood, not screw mounted on top of the wood, with the exception of the "Eagle Shield" on the Brazilian Minnie Rifle.
    J.

major bill likes this.
  12. major bill

An interesting point.

13. DixieRifles

DixieRifles 1st Lieutenant

Yes. There is a good chance that one would slice your hand in the heat of battle.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)