Details on the death of your Civil War ancestor.

My ancestor was also wounded at Gettysburg, severely per his records, but I was never able to determine the nature of his wound. He returns to the army in time to get captured in June of 1864.

I would love to know the nature of his wound there also but no luck in that quest either.

For someone in the family to know about the sacrifices he made for his country is important to me.

John

I would believe it brings some form of closure to many. To know the experience they succumbed to is a sentimental memory, possibly. Even obituaries through the centuries speak of the manner of passing away. I think it highlights a curiosity of knowing whether death is timely or not. [edit to add]: I once read somewhere that the manner in which a person dies can sometimes be like the end of a good book.
Lubliner.

My Ancestor, was in the 43rdNY volunteers. Lost his left arm at the battle of Cold Harbor. Was reassigned to the medical battalion, post amputation. got a job delivering mail to wounded vets there. Was able to translate that to a postal carrier job with the USPS post war in his home town(Holmdel, NJ). Did that until he died of old age in 1931.

My direct ancestors survived the war but I do have one gg uncle who died "of disease" at Petersburg. There's no details so who knows what got him or how long it took. Whatever it was I'd guess it was a miserable way to go.

My g grandfather (avatar guy) survived but his health was never good after the war and he was sickly the rest of his life. He died at 62 in 1900.

My ancestor was also wounded at Gettysburg, severely per his records, but I was never able to determine the nature of his wound. He returns to the army in time to get captured in June of 1864.

I would love to know the nature of his wound there also but no luck in that quest either.

For someone in the family to know about the sacrifices he made for his country is important to me.

John
Check pension records in the National Archives. Mine was wounded at Gettysburg too. There was many pages of paperwork with documentation when he applied for his pension. Affidavits in the paperwork signed and witnessed by the Medical Officer of the Regiment describing his wounds. It was shell fragments apparently to the thigh and buttocks area.
I had to fill out a form many years ago (late 80s early 90s) and I think it was $25 for the file. I think the requests are all done online now. Research is much better now. On a side note we had a High School buddy in the 70s up North named "Rebel". He was from Tennessee and claimed Confederate heritage. Well just recently his Sister researched the family and found out their ancestors fought for the North from Tennessee and one was captured and died at Andersonville. We now call him "Yankee Doodle"! :bounce:

My ancestor died in 1901--presumably on his farm in Howard County, Missouri. I have visited his grave, but I really don't know much about him. I have often said that I'd love to know where his saber and revolver are today--I know that he brought those items home with him. He had a son who (as far as I know) never married. He might have inherited those items. If so, they probably went away in an estate sale years ago. For all I know, they are still in that county, but in a different family. It's a somewhat frustrating question to ponder.

I would definitely like to know the exact circumstances. He died a pow in So. Carolina after being confined in Andersonville. But I was never able to determine the exact cause.
The Union service records usually have a POW Form, which is a short form that is shaped like a large bank check.
The form recorded when they died and sometimes it would list the cause and maybe if they were sent to the camp hospital. Many were not and many were sent to hospital one day and died the next.
The archivist made an annotation of the grave ID Number on the form.

Give me his name and unit and I will look for his POW Form.

Is it just enough to know where and when they died?
I think every family would like to know the details. Im researching details of a cousin of my Mom who died in an accident onboard a ship in April 1941– before US entered the WW2.

My Gr-Gr-Grandfather died at the Battle of Fort Pillow. His regiment had more casualties than any other. The Lt-Colonel and a Captain were both hit by a volley— I am not sure if this means artillery canister or rifle. I would like to know when during the siege & attack he was killed.
I have another ancestor(Gr-Gr-Uncle) who died on 2 July 1863. He was in the 3d Arkansas of Hood’s old brigade. I have no solid proof he died in their charge — I can only assume so. The answer may only be found in another soldier’s diary.

My ancestor John M. Jordan (Private, Company I, 77th Illinois Infantry) survived the war but was unfortunately killed in a railroad work accident on April 23, 1870. He was 27 years old and left behind a 19 year old widow and 1 month old son.
Railroads are STILL dangerous. We just had a fatality this week in NH where an employee of the Pan Am railroad company got caught between two cars as they were coupling.

My great uncle Johnny ran off from home at age 15 to join his father and brother in the 38th​ Georgia Infantry. His father, my great grandfather, died of dysentery in August of 1864 and his brother was wounded at Barlow Knoll (Gettysburg) on July 1, 1863 and was later captured and sent at first to a Union hospital and then to a Union POW camp.

Johnny continued in the 38th​ GA, he survived the 1864 fights at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and Cold Harbor. In mid-June, the 38th​ GA was detached to Gordon’s Division of the Army of the Valley. Johnny was wounded at Lynchburg, VA on June 17, 1864. When he recovered, he returned to the 38th​ GA and in December of 1864 the 38th​ GA returned to the Richmond area.

The end came for Johnny in February of 1865 during the siege of Petersburg. Attempting to blunt a Union offensive move, the 38th​ GA attacked on February 5, 1865 at Hatcher’s Run, VA. Johnny was hit with a gunshot wound in the firefight. He was carted to Richmond, where he died two days later at Jackson Hospital, he was only 19 years old. He was buried in Hollywood Cemetery in an unmarked grave (now marked).

John
Check his applications for pension. They may include copies of physical exams . My deceased wife’s great grandfather was wounded at Gaines Mill and Sevond Bull Run. The physical exam revealed the locations of his wounds and his disabilities.

Back