Forrest Details of Forrest gravesite exhumation revealed

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
The entire article can be read at the link. There are some interesting new details about how the remains were buried and how they were moved. There are some modern political references in the article, so it's best to avoid discussing those in this forum, but the other details about how he was buried, etc. should be of interest.

The reburial of General Nathan Bedford Forrest's Confederate monument from Memphis' Health Sciences Park has been shrouded in secrecy.​
The journey involved legal maneuvers and delicate decisions that ultimately led to the FBI's involvement.​
When a decision was made that the monument would be removed, all parties involved were not even close to the end of a complicated journey that both divided and united a city all kept under wraps until now.​
-------------​
Taylor says it was a Victorian cradle sitting atop the graves. The bodies were under the plaza in front of the pedestal, not below it.​
"Keep in mind, Take 'Em Down 901 started the process. The property changed hands from the City of Memphis to Memphis Greenspace and the statue came down at 9:01 p.m. I looked at my watch. It was 9:01 a.m. when we discovered where the remains actually were," he noted.​
The discovery is preserved in photographs.​
"His casket was intact with a cast-iron casket. One hundred years worth of rust and patina on it," said Taylor as he leafed through dozens of photos of the exhumation. "All the hinges and latches and so forth all been rusted together, so we had to cut into it. His casket had been full of water and had to drain the water. And what was left was about six inches of sediment inside his casket."​

They dug up and reburied the Red Baron a few times too. Well today is Halloween, would of been interesting if Forrest jumped out of his grave swinging a sword like Michael Myers in the HALLOWEEN movie reruns.

A few days ago, the local Memphis channel had a story in the 6:00 news. It showed several photos of the exhumation and the grave that were taken by the funeral director who oversaw that and the reinterment.
On the day happened months ago, there was a prohibition of the release of ANY photos: finally one was released showing the vault. Everyone agreed they wanted to show respect to the deceased.
So what happened to decency?

If you find forensic archaeology fascinating, as I do, you end up reading about a lot of exhumations and looking at photos of human remains. Some are thousands of years old and some much more recent. What we learn about how people lived and died from analyzing these remains is mind boggling, at least for me.

A few years ago archaeologists located what turned out to be the remains of Richard III. They were able to confirm that he had scoliosis and perimortem wounds that pointed towards his death as a prisoner rather than when fighting on the Bosworth battlefield.

If you find forensic archaeology fascinating, as I do, you end up reading about a lot of exhumations and looking at photos of human remains. Some are thousands of years old and some much more recent. What we learn about how people lived and died from analyzing these remains is mind boggling, at least for me.

A few years ago archaeologists located what turned out to be the remains of Richard III. They were able to confirm that he had scoliosis and perimortem wounds that pointed towards his death as a prisoner rather than when fighting on the Bosworth battlefield.
guess the saying "It's good to be King" didn't apply to him!

guess the saying "It's good to be King" didn't apply to him!
Good point....Bosworth Field was the last battle of the War of the Roses, which was a very tenuous time in England for everyone, but particularly nobles or kings who were on the wrong side at any given time. The victor in the battle became Henry VII and, for him at least, the statement was probably true.

"His casket was intact with a cast-iron casket. One hundred years worth of rust and patina on it," said Taylor as he leafed through dozens of photos of the exhumation. "All the hinges and latches and so forth all been rusted together, so we had to cut into it. His casket had been full of water and had to drain the water. And what was left was about six inches of sediment inside his casket."
Absolutely Barbaric.

But thanks for posting this @Andersonh1.

A few days ago, the local Memphis channel had a story in the 6:00 news. It showed several photos of the exhumation and the grave that were taken by the funeral director who oversaw that and the reinterment.
On the day happened months ago, there was a prohibition of the release of ANY photos: finally one was released showing the vault. Everyone agreed they wanted to show respect to the deceased.
So what happened to decency?
After these last few years you're expecting them to be decent?

An impossible expectation-sadly
Well that's just the thing here.

To them, we're the enemy. The "Bad Guy". You see? They're the "Good Guys". Many of it even have it in their names, hence: AntiFa. The "Good Guy Squad". That means whatever they do, however they do it, no matter how dirty or deadly the tactics, is completely justified. Because you'd do everything possible to stop Hitler, right? Desecrate graves, tear down statues, violently beat people in the street. It's all a-okay.

You aren't going to argue somebody out of the Narcissist's Prayer.

Essentially, we're squaring off with sociopathic man-children. And if society at large had heard what guys like me were saying in 2015 we wouldn't be here.

I've always thought digging up bodies for scientific purposes to be disrespectful. This however not only shows a lack of respect for those gone before. The lack of understanding of history is staggering. I heard a good point brought up.that you can put up another plaque explaining the history and how it's changed.

Interesting video. Thanks for posting. Forrest's original casket and other relics are on display at the National Confederate Museum adjacent to his current grave site at Elm Springs.

IMG_3004.JPG

Back