Details about the Vicksburg Assaults

Saruman

Sergeant
Does anyone know what commanders were most involved/most influential in Grant's two assaults on Vicksburg in May?

On May 19, Union forces attacked and were repulsed, losing 942 men to the Confederate's 70. Was the most influential Union commander William T. Sherman and the most influential Confederate commander Martin L. Smith?

On May 22, Union forces attacked and were repulsed, losing 3,199 men to the Confederate's 500. Were the most influential Union commanders John A. McClernand and William T. Sherman and were the most influential Confederate commanders John H. Forney and Carter L. Stevenson?

Does anyone know what commanders were most involved/most influential in Grant's two assaults on Vicksburg in May?

On May 19, Union forces attacked and were repulsed, losing 942 men to the Confederate's 70. Was the most influential Union commander William T. Sherman and the most influential Confederate commander Martin L. Smith?

On May 22, Union forces attacked and were repulsed, losing 3,199 men to the Confederate's 500. Were the most influential Union commanders John A. McClernand and William T. Sherman and were the most influential Confederate commanders John H. Forney and Carter L. Stevenson?

Anyone?

I can't find any specific details about these two battles anywhere. How about those who own the Bearss' trilogy? Does he go into much detail about which commanders were most involved?

My g-g-grandfather was a survivor of the Forlorn Hope (May 22 assault on the Stockade Redan). Because of my interest in his history I’ve personally researched more about the May 22 actions on the Union side. My understanding is that the engagements of McClernand’s and Sherman’s corps were more consequential on that day. However, given that the assaults of both the 19th and 22nd ultimately failed, who’s to say?

I can't really find any mention of which CSA generals were responding to the attacks. May 19 seems to be Smith and Forney, but May 22 is a bit blurry. Possibly Forney, Bowen, and Stevenson?

Was Pemberton there in person directing the troops or was he back at HQ?

Maybe I'll just have to buy this book when it eventually comes out...

pic.jpg

I can't really find any mention of which CSA generals were responding to the attacks. May 19 seems to be Smith and Forney, but May 22 is a bit blurry. Possibly Forney, Bowen, and Stevenson?

Was Pemberton there in person directing the troops or was he back at HQ?

Maybe I'll just have to buy this book when it eventually comes out...

View attachment 295001
The Editor of this book, Steven Woodworth is recognized as a preeminent expert on the western theater of the war. Dr. Woodworth is a professor of history at Texas Christian University.

Anyone?

I can't find any specific details about these two battles anywhere. How about those who own the Bearss' trilogy? Does he go into much detail about which commanders were most involved?
These assaults are described from the Confederate point of view in Westerners in Gray: The Men and Missions of the Elite Fifth Missouri Infantry Regiment by Phillip Tucker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786431121/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Great! Have you read it? Does Pemberton feature prominently, or is the CSA response mainly driven by Forney, Bowen etc?
Finished the book last fall. The book focuses on the Missouri 5th Rgt. CSA, but uses the same primary sources referenced in many of the histories covering the actions of Missouri Confederate units east of the Mississippi. Bowen's two Brigades (Cockrell & Green) had fought hard and taken substantial losses in the preliminary battles of the Vicksburg campaign from Port Gibson to Champion Hill to Big Black River. They were initially held in reserve behind the northeastern sector of the Vicksburg perimeter. Pemberton used them as his 'fire brigade'. This was the sector behind the Graveyard Road cut, Stockade Redan and the Third Louisiana Redan. The Missouri Brigades were deployed to man the lines upon the first Union assault and were continuously deployed in this sector until the surrender.

US Army staff ride for the Vicksburg Campaign...
https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Portals/7/educational-services/staff-rides/StaffRideHB_Vicksburg.pdf
the assaults are described starting about page 159
I read through this summary till I got to the description of the Champion Hill battle. Bowen's counter attack is described in one paragraph. According to the author, Hovey's Division was tired and Bowen was repulsed and that was the gist of it. One sided, I guess!

Anyone?

Bearss Volume III has a good account. There is also an interesting thread recently on the re-capture of the Railroad Redoubt by Waul's Texas Legion.

My ancestors in the 42nd Alabama were involved in repulsing the May 22nd attack, I will be looking forward to reading the Woodworth and Grear book.

Back