Detailed account of 6th Corps

- General John Sedgwick, The Story of a Union Corps Commander, by Richard Elliott Winslow III, Presidio Press, 1982.

- Recollections of the Battle of Gettysburg, by Brevet Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Hyde, paper read September 7, 1892.

There are also several good accounts at the regiment level.

Not a book, but one of the best accounts I've found is a Gettysburg Magazine article called Sedgwick's Foot Cavalry. This article is about (obviously, I guess) the epic march to Gettysburg and not what happened once the 6th Corps reached Gettysburg.

Ryan, as you say, Shaler's brigade was very active in the Culp's Hill trenches on the morning of July 3. Neill's men were skirmishing with the 2nd Virginia east of Rock Creek, while Eustis' brigade took a sharp beating at the opening moments of the cannonade near the Leister cottage while just marching around the field. I imagine the 6th Corps might have been in every history book now had Meade launched it against Lee's center on the late afternoon of July 3.

Ryan, as you say, Shaler's brigade was very active in the Culp's Hill trenches on the morning of July 3. Neill's men were skirmishing with the 2nd Virginia east of Rock Creek, while Eustis' brigade took a sharp beating at the opening moments of the cannonade near the Leister cottage while just marching around the field. I imagine the 6th Corps might have been in every history book now had Meade launched it against Lee's center on the late afternoon of July 3.

Agreed. The reason a lot of people forget about them is that the corps was scattered around the field at different times on the 2nd and 3rd, never fighting as a unit. As Sedgwick sarcastically commented, he might as well have gone home because he didn't have a corps to command. His units simply get overlooked.

Ryan

Agreed. The reason a lot of people forget about them is that the corps was scattered around the field at different times on the 2nd and 3rd, never fighting as a unit. As Sedgwick sarcastically commented, he might as well have gone home because he didn't have a corps to command. His units simply get overlooked.

Ryan

George Burling could have also said the same words about his brigade after it was split and distributed on the 2nd.

Not a book, but one of the best accounts I've found is a Gettysburg Magazine article called Sedgwick's Foot Cavalry. This article is about (obviously, I guess) the epic march to Gettysburg and not what happened once the 6th Corps reached Gettysburg.
Hello Andy thanks for input do you know what issue of the Gettysburg magazine?
Thanks

Back