Despite Everything, People Still Have Weddings at ‘Plantation’ Sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Personally don't know anyone who has ever made excuses for slavery, nor would there be any need to.

One value I thought America has always had, is we don't hold the sons, grandsons, great grandsons ect responsible for the sins of the father, that they had absolutely nothing to do with.
I think if the sons, grandsons, great grandsons, etc, try to justify the sins than they are just as guilty.

Irishtom29

2nd Lieutenant
As long as there are people who make excuses for that, there will be people who see plantations as labor camps.

No lie, especially since forced labor camps is what they were.

That there are Americans who make excuses for American slavery and the rebellion to protect it blows my mind. It's like someone remade the movie Spartacus but Lawrence Olivier (Crassus) is the good guy and Kirk Douglas (Spartacus) a sinister agitator with the effrontery to make trouble because he wants freedom.

DanSBHawk

Captain
No it would actually be noting the actual history........which is what was, that slavery has existed the majority of recorded time isn't an excuse at all, but actual history.....which is going to mentioned in a forum about history.

History isn't what you wish was, or whether you think it was good or bad, but what actually was....
Plantations in the American south are not ancient history.

Plantations in the American south are not ancient history.
If one is talking about the actual history of slavery it indeed includes ancient history, and not just the south, but the 13 colonies, the colonial powers.....again if one is having an honest discussion of slavery, it goes beyond the confederacy, the south, and the United States, and it was a continuing sequence....it hardly suddenly just originated in the "south" in 1861......

We're not. We're talking about American history around the time of the Civil War.
Ah so United States history, yes it has far longer history with slavery then the Confederacy, also continued it through the war. That is relevant, but so is it didn't orginate with the US, the colonies, the colonial powers, but was a continuous cycle for centuries.

I thought this thread was about getting married at a fine Southern home.
It was, and homes that have had nothing to do with slavery for well over a century.

But anymore I think if someone started a thread "the sky was blue today" theres a 50/50 chance by the end of the day slavery had something to do with the sky being blue, and you shouldn't enjoy it........But 99.99999% sure all the plantations I've visited had nothing do with slavery in my lifetime.....my fathers lifetime, or my grandfathers lifetime.......so forced labor camp isn't the first thing I think of at all.

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

Captain
Ah so United States history, yes it has far longer history with slavery then the Confederacy, also continued it through the war. That is relevant, but so is it didn't orginate with the US, the colonies, the colonial powers, but was a continuous cycle for centuries.
This thread is about American plantation sites.

America did have a long history with slavery. Some parts of the country gave it up. And some parts of the country doubled down, and built plantations, and started a war to protect it.

DanSBHawk

Captain
It was, and homes that have had nothing to do with slavery for well over a century.

But anymore I think if someone started a thread "the sky was blue today" theres a 50/50 chance by the end of the day slavery had something to do with the sky being blue, and you shouldn't enjoy it........
So you think slavery should be left out of a discussion about plantations?

So you think slavery should be left out of a discussion about plantations?
no I never said so, but if wish to avoid ancient history as you claim.......it is getting pretty far removed. Personally I think it depends on the plantation.

I think it would be rather unrelated to a wedding however, as far as OP....as that is a 2020 event........not 1850.......

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
No lie, especially since forced labor camps is what they were.

That there are Americans who make excuses for American slavery and the rebellion to protect it blows my mind. It's like someone remade the movie Spartacus but Lawrence Olivier (Crassus) is the good guy and Kirk Douglas (Spartacus) a sinister agitator with the effrontery to make trouble because he wants freedom.
Lol, if that novel and then screenplay had been written in Rome some several thousand years ago, that would be precisely the interpretation!

DanSBHawk

Captain
no I never said so, but if wish to avoid ancient history as you claim.......it is getting pretty far removed. Personally I think it depends on the plantation.

I think it would be rather unrelated to a wedding however, as far as OP....as that is a 2020 event........not 1850.......
Slavery, Jim Crow and segregation is not ancient history.

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
This thread is about American plantation sites.

America did have a long history with slavery. Some parts of the country gave it up. And some parts of the country doubled down, and built plantations, and started a war to protect it.
Slavery, Jim Crow and segregation is not ancient history.
What part of Let it go don't you understand. this thread isn't about Jim Crow

Status
Not open for further replies.