Despite Everything, People Still Have Weddings at ‘Plantation’ Sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSBHawk

Captain
I said this on another web site and got a lot of "upvotes": If the British had torn down all their structures that had any bad history associated with them, we would then have to imagine what castles looked like, or the Tower of London, or royal palaces, or majestic old mansions. If European nations did the same thing, European towns would be as charming and quaint as a bowl of plain oatmeal. And goodbye to the incredible old fortresses and castles of Europe. Yeah! Let's be politically correct and tear it all down!
It's easier to deal with oppressive structures when enough centuries have passed that the emotions can die down.

When you still have the residual emotions and memories of an oppressive system, and you still have some fellow Americans pining for the confederacy, the plantations will continue to have a stigma as labor camps. And they should have that stigma.

As long as we still have people advocating for the confederacy, we will have people advocating for obliterating its memory.

Last edited:

Biscoitos

Corporal
It's easier to deal with oppressive structures when enough centuries have passed that the emotions can die down.

When you still have the residual emotions and memories of an oppressive system, and you still have fellow Americans pining for the confederacy, the plantations will continue to have a stigma as labor camps. And they should have that stigma.

As long as we still have people advocating for the confederacy, we will have people advocating for obliterating its memory.
And we will have people in Madison Wisconsin obliterating the names of Americans' graves, and mobs destroying statues and looting in the name of political correctness.

Let Wisconsin make total amends for the atrocities they committed against Native Americans (and barely acknowledge) and the racist discrimination against those same Native Americans BEFORE they tell others what to do.

DanSBHawk

Captain
And we will have people in Madison Wisconsin obliterating the names of Americans' graves, and mobs destroying statues and looting in the name of political correctness.

Let Wisconsin make total amends for the atrocities they committed against Native Americans (and barely acknowledge) and the racist discrimination against those same Native Americans BEFORE they tell others what to do.
Actually there is much more awareness about the treatment of Native Americans. In Wisconsin, and nationally.

But your post is an example of whataboutism. Intentionally changing the subject of the thread.

I've only been to WI a couple of times, and just across the border, but it must be far more pro Confederate then the midwest or the south which I have visited alot, as I have never met anyone "pining for the confederacy' in 54 years of travel in over 1/2 the states.

DanSBHawk

Captain
I've only been to WI a couple of times, and just across the border, but it must be far more pro Confederate then the midwest or the south which I have visited alot, as I have never met anyone "pining for the confederacy' in 54 years of travel in over 1/2 the states.
Where did I say the "piners" were all in Wisconsin?

I've travelled too. And I've paid attention to the posts here. There are definitely still "piners" around but they get fewer with every generation.

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
On the one hand they did great deeds and on the other hand they were ruthless and immoral capitalists who used slave labor rather than pay free men wages.
I have often wondered; at the labor rates of the mid 19th century vs the cost of purchasing slaves and then housing and feeding them, wouldn't it have been cheaper to hire? I often think the answer is that you couldn't have found people to do that work. That said, they did and were able to in the early to mid 20th, and I am not just referring to black sharecroppers, there were many white ones also, and whites who did manual labor on farms; harvesting etc. Honest question here.

Where did I say the "piners" were all in Wisconsin?

I've travelled too. And I've paid attention to the posts here. There are definitely still "piners" around but they get fewer with every generation.
Well most people are most familiar and most exposed to where they live and have traveled alot.....and as I said they obviously aren't very numerous through the midwestern states and southern states as I have never met a single one. And would say I travel more then average.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Well most people are most familiar and most exposed to where they live and have traveled alot.....and as I said they obviously aren't very numerous through the midwestern states and southern states as I have never met a single one.
My experience has been different from yours.

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
I said this on another web site and got a lot of "upvotes": If the British had torn down all their structures that had any bad history associated with them, we would then have to imagine what castles looked like, or the Tower of London, or royal palaces, or majestic old mansions. If European nations did the same thing, European towns would be as charming and quaint as a bowl of plain oatmeal. And goodbye to the incredible old fortresses and castles of Europe. Yeah! Let's be politically correct and tear it all down!
Well, we are well on our way. European cities are full of structures hundreds, thousands of years old. While here, we tear everything down every 15-20 years and put up some more cheap ****. As it is now, you travel the interstates and if you didn't know better, you could never tell what state you were in, all looks the same; Cracker Barrels, Race Tracks, Ruby Tuesdays, Chile's etc etc ad nauseum.

My experience has been different from yours.
And again offhand, you spending a lot of time in Wi would be a major difference. As I admit I haven't. It might be a regional peculiarity I haven't experienced, since I haven't traveled the state other then very SW corner

DanSBHawk

Captain
What people don't really get as they don't study World History is that slavery was around away before the founding of this nation and the CSA
That misses the point. There are people in this country that have a family heritage of being enslaved and segregated and oppressed.

As long as there are people who make excuses for that, there will be people who see plantations as labor camps.

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
That misses the point. There are people in this country that have a family heritage of being enslaved and segregated and oppressed.

As long as there are people who make excuses for that, there will be people who see plantations as labor camps.
Almost every country contains people that have a heritage of enslavement and oppression.

Personally don't know anyone who has ever made excuses for slavery, nor would there be any need to.

One value I thought America has always had, is we don't hold the sons, grandsons, great grandsons ect responsible for the sins of the father, that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Yes you must have missed it or not recognized it. This forum is about the American Civil War. When someone justifies slavery by bringing up ancient world history, that is meant as an excuse.
No it would actually be noting the actual history........which is what was, that slavery has existed the majority of recorded time isn't an excuse at all, but our actual history.....which is going to mentioned in a forum about history.

History isn't what you wish was, or whether you think it was good or bad, but what actually was....

Status
Not open for further replies.