Desk of Genl BF Butler

General Butler

First Sergeant
There has been a post of two on desks used by officers in the war.
Most seem to be familiar with the plantation style used by Jackson and Longstreet.
I mentioned that I have the desk of BF Butler...so here it is.
I bought a long time ago from his estate sale held in New Hampsire after the family took what they wanted and then sold the land for development.
Ick!
Anyhow I was able to pull out some good items as most buyers wanted large carved furniture and cranberry glass.
It started me on a long yet fun journey to try to understand this complex American hero.

20210805_113954.jpg

20210805_114001.jpg

20210805_114115.jpg

20210805_114145.jpg

What strikes me as odd about this one are the small and regular pigeon holes. The ones I've seen and that you mention have different-sized compartments that allow documents to lie flat or standing upright without having to be rolled or folded like would be the case with this one. The stenciled B.F.B. is a nice touch!

What strikes me as odd about this one are the small and regular pigeon holes. The ones I've seen and that you mention have different-sized compartments that allow documents to lie flat or standing upright without having to be rolled or folded like would be the case with this one. The stenciled B.F.B. is a nice touch!
Maybe cuz a guy like Butler would have so much he needed to room?

good stuff!...now THAT looks like a field desk put to good use...sometimes, others appear too nice to have been used for field use or mired in knee deep mud while on campaign...this looks like a true officers filed desk.

by the way...that faint and mysterious rattling sound you sometimes hear while moving it...are the ghosts of purloined spoons past..."Ben...you pinched me, Ben!....Ben!!"

Really enjoyed seeing his desk but what was all in the backgroud? The boots and other items?
Regards
David
Sharp eyes. Mostly its field art. Sketches of Butler, neither flattering, sketch by julian Scott of MOH vermonter, original Butler albumen used by the press in 61, full size tin of armed soldier, CW boots and boots sit on top of a box of treasures

good stuff!...now THAT looks like a field desk put to good use...sometimes, others appear too nice to have been used for field use or mired in knee deep mud while on campaign...this looks like a true officers filed desk.

by the way...that faint and mysterious rattling sound you sometimes hear while moving it...are the ghosts of purloined spoons past..."Ben...you pinched me, Ben!....Ben!!"
It's a nice piece and sadly it can't talk of history

What strikes me as odd about this one are the small and regular pigeon holes. The ones I've seen and that you mention have different-sized compartments that allow documents to lie flat or standing upright without having to be rolled or folded like would be the case with this one.

I acquired a field desk that has a small drawer and a couple of taller slots where you could, say, stand up a ledger or journal. But most of the compartments were small cubbies like on this BB example, reminiscent of a 7-Up crate. I've been wondering whether there was a practical reason for that. For example, were there a lot of smaller-dimension forms that an officer might have had to fill out, process, or store?

ARB

I acquired a field desk that has a small drawer and a couple of taller slots where you could, say, stand up a ledger or journal. But most of the compartments were small cubbies like on this BB example, reminiscent of a 7-Up crate. I've been wondering whether there was a practical reason for that. For example, were there a lot of smaller-dimension forms that an officer might have had to fill out, process, or store?

ARB
Each cubbies has a named purpose...the alphabet, various depth etc. So a lot of cubbies for a lot of paper and copy demands

Back