Design of the Shiloh National Military Park

You can just zoom in on any CW spot on the map and then hit the green looking g refresh button and all pics from that location should appear.
I stopped looking at the Shiloh pics after looking at a few. I wanna be surprised when I see some of those places in person for the first time. The ones I saw were great. You have a gift.

I will be visiting the Shiloh National Military Park on July 21st, 2015. This will be my second visit (2011) and my son's first visit. I enjoyed my first visit but I was always puzzled by the National Park System's design of their official tour stops. Personally, I believe the visitor should stop at the visitor center, view the new movie (the old one was brutal) and start their tour where the battle began at Tour Stop - 7 (Fraley's Field). The NPS could have designed this battlefield in a chronological order to coincide with the two day battle (April 6th, 7th, 1862).

View attachment 73157

I hope I am not nit-picking.......

Bill
Bill you are not picky....I actually design My trips to start just like that....almost like Antietam...

Under
After watching the movie at the VC, I drove to Fraley Field and parked. I did a lot of walking but I really understood the battle more by being able to walk the land, see the fields, and follow the movements chronologically. It took all day and I was pretty exhausted, but it was worth it. Make sure to bring a lot of water and some bug spray. The next day I used the auto tour to get a better understanding of what exactly happened at each of the stops. And then the following day, after I recovered a little from the first day (I'm really not in very good shape), I walked on other trails off the beaten path. Shiloh is an amazing place. When you get off the roads, you definitely feel you are on hallowed ground, especially when you come across one of the burial trenches. I hope you have time to explore Corinth while you are there. To get a perspective on where the railroads cross and where Shiloh is can help understand the story, also. There is also a wonderful Interpretive Center in Corinth.
Understanding Corinth and it's importance helps one understand Shiloh and why the took place there....one with out the other is like peanut butter with out jelly!

Back