Deshler's/Granbury's Texas Brigade

DixieRifles

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
In addition, the 7 Texas regiments were consolidated into just two; 6th, 10th, and 15th Texas Consolidated under Colonel Roger Q. Mills of the 10th Texas; and 17th, 18th, 24th, and 25th Texas Consolidated under Colonel Clayton Gillespie of the 25th, later by Francis Wilkes of the 24th. Counting the 19th/24th Arkansas of the Fort Hindman Garrison
There is a lot to research on these Texas cavalry organizations. I wish I knew more. My 3rd cousin has identified several in his family tree---which are distant cousins to me---who all served in Texas "cavalry" units. Some of the Texas cavalry were dismounted, so I get confused even more Are any of these units the same ones you listed?

Major Henry Benjamin Cole, 10th Brigade Texas State Troops. Q: Is this the same 10th Texas?

Pvt William F. Cole, 17th Regiment Texas Cavalry (aka Moore's Regiment Texas Cavalry)

Pvt Pinkney T. Winn, 18th Texas Cavalry (aka Darnell's Regiment Texas Cavalry)

Other relatives served in the 3rd Regiment Texas Cavalry(aka the South Kansas Texas Regiment of Cavalry) and also 34th Regiment Texas Cavalry(aka 37th Regiment Texas cavalry and Terrell's Regiment Texas Cavalry).

Feel free to take this to the side with a Conversation.

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
There is a lot to research on these Texas cavalry organizations. I wish I knew more. My 3rd cousin has identified several in his family tree---which are distant cousins to me---who all served in Texas "cavalry" units. Some of the Texas cavalry were dismounted, so I get confused even more Are any of these units the same ones you listed?

Major Henry Benjamin Cole, 10th Brigade Texas State Troops. Q: Is this the same 10th Texas?

Pvt William F. Cole, 17th Regiment Texas Cavalry (aka Moore's Regiment Texas Cavalry)

Pvt Pinkney T. Winn, 18th Texas Cavalry (aka Darnell's Regiment Texas Cavalry)

Other relatives served in the 3rd Regiment Texas Cavalry(aka the South Kansas Texas Regiment of Cavalry) and also 34th Regiment Texas Cavalry(aka 37th Regiment Texas cavalry and Terrell's Regiment Texas Cavalry).

Feel free to take this to the side with a Conversation.
I assume the "10th Texas Brigade State Troops" is some militia organization. Doubt it has anything to do with the 10th Texas Infantry, unless that ancestor mislabeled his unit.

DixieRifles

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Doubt it has anything to do with the 10th Texas Infantry, unless that ancestor mislabeled his unit.
We have the right unit for our ancestor. I just wasn't sure of the history of it. But I agree. Most of the units I listed were called "Cavalry" ---I just wasn't sure if all of your units were raised as Infantry.

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
We have the right unit for our ancestor. I just wasn't sure of the history of it. But I agree. Most of the units I listed were called "Cavalry" ---I just wasn't sure if all of your units were raised as Infantry.
6th, 7th and 10th Texas were Infantry. The others were all initially cavalry, but eventually dismounted once brought to the front due to the need for Texan Infantry (Texas is one of the few states which had more Cavalry Regiments than infantry, due to Texan traditions).

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Alright, time to address the weirdest aspect of this brigade: Nutt's Louisiana Company.
At Fort Hindman, there were three independent companies of cavalry, two Louisiana (Denson's and Nutt's) and one texas (Johnson's). In addition was Hart's Arkansas Battery. These men were captured at Fort Hindman, though many would escape and continue serving in the Transmisssissippi. They were exchanged in City Point and were reorganized as Company L (or M, as other sources place it) of 10th Texas, under Captain Leroy Moncure Nutt, as a skirmisher company. They would fight at Chickamauga and Chattanooga; after the latter, the unit suffered significant desertion rates, and was detached and turned into a cavalry scout unit for the brigade. The rest of its history is confusing.
Findagrave on Leroy M. Nutt: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11025151/leroy-moncure-nutt
Obscure forum post on the unit history: https://www.authentic-campaigner.co...-louisiana-cavalry-company-granbury-s-brigade
Most of my remaining info comes from Lundberg's book, which only really talks about it in a footnote; this is where it is designated as Company L by the author. I believe it was most likely Company L and not M, given how Lundberg is the more well versed of the historians here, it seems.

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I made a shocking breakthrough today: I finally have found information on the elusive Captain J. H. Collett...or if I should be more correct, Captain James Hamilton Collett, Company G, 7th Texas

Collett was born in North Carolina, January 13th 1825, to Abram (or Abraham) Collett and Mary Stewart Collett. In 1849 he moved to Texas, first in Springfield, Limestone County, then to Fairfield, Freestone County. He married Eudorah Smith on January 1st, 1852; when she died in 1855, he remarried to Margaret Ann Davis October 2nd, but she died in 1859. After the war, he would remarry to his third and final wife, Rhoann Eliza Daviss, 29th August, 1865. They would have 5 children together, plus the two from the late Eudorah.

When the war broke out, he joined "The Freestone Freemen", which joined the 7th Texas Infantry as Company G, with Collett being appointed 1st Lieutenant. He was with the unit at Fort Donelson, surrendering with it there. When he was exchanged, his superior, Captain William L. Moody, had been made the new Lt. Colonel, and so, he was promoted to Captain of Company G. He was wounded at Raymond, returning to it in November, where he took command of the regiment following Granbury's ascension to brigade command. In this capacity, he let the regiment at Ringgold Gap, and was one of the signatures of Cleburne's Proposal. He continued commanding the regiment until April, presumably due tot he return of Captain Talley (who must have been senior to Collett). Collett was wounded at Franklin, and was captured at Columbia December 21st, being held at Fort Delaware until June 17th, 1865, returning to Texas.

Collett moved to Galveston, where he "accumulated a considerable fortune" in whatever ventures he was involved in, until a fire in 1877 destroyed his property. Soon after he moved to Austin, where he worked to rebuild his wealth. He became a part of the Austin community, and he lived here for the remainder of his life, dying 28th January, 1916, just a few weeks after his 91st birthday. He is buried in Austin's Oakwood Cemetery.
41662904_125962024587.jpg

Collett in later life

Source: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41662904/james-hamilton-collett

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Found info on Company A, 7th Texas (The Waco Guards) and their commanders. I will try to transcribe what I've got.

Captains
OrderNameDate of commandNotes
1Hiram Bronson Granbury1 October - 10 Nov, 1861Promoted Major
2C. N. Alexander11 Nov 1861 - 22 Dec 1863On recruiting duty in Texas from Oct 1862. Did not return and was dropped from the rolls
3J. Sam Norvell22 Dec 1863 - 2 Sept 1864KIA, Lovejoy Station
(After September 1864 the company was so reduced that no new captain was appointed. Second Lieutenant Murry commanded the company thereafter.)

1st Lieutenants
OrderNameDate of CommandNotes
1A. M. Houston1 Oct - 26 Oct 1861Died of Disease, Marshall Texas
2E. B. Rosson10 Nov 1861 - 15 Feb 1862KIA, Fort Donelson
3J. Sam Norvell15 Feb 1862 - 22 Dec 1863Promoted Captain. Acting company commander since Oct 1862
4William E. Rogers22 Dec 1863 - 22 July 1864POW, Atlanta
(After July 1864 the company was so reduced that no new First Lieutenant was appointed. Second Lieutenant Murry became acting deputy commander, and later Second Lieutenant Cawthon.)

2nd Lieutenants
OrderNameDate of CommandNotes
1E. B. Rosson1 Oct 1861 - 10 Nov 1861Promoted 1st Lieutenant
2James W. Nowlin10 Nov 1861 - 15 Feb 1862KIA, Fort Donelson
2J. Sam Norvell10 Nov 1861 - 15 Feb 1862Promoted 1st Lieutenant
3John C. Kidd8 Oct 1862 - 12 May 1863KIA Raymond
3William E. Rogers8 Oct 1862 - 22 Dec 1863Promoted 1st Lieutenant
4J. H. Murray22 Dec 1863 - 26 April 1865Surrendered
5John O. Cawthorn1 Sept 1863 - 17 Dec 1864POW, Franklin
(Until May 1863 the company had two Second Lieutenants. As of December 1864 Second Lieutenant Murry was the only officer in the company.)
(On 9 April 1865 Murry was appointed Captain and commander of Company C, 1st Texas Consolidated Infantry Regiment, which was formed by merging all 8 Texas regiments of Granbury's former brigade. Thomas J. Harrison became Second Lieutenant of the new company, but neither Murry nor Harrison held such rank in the 7th Texas proper.)

Sources:
https://7thtexasinfantry.men/english/officers.htm