Deserters

allenhs

Cadet
What happened to people who were caught aiding deserters from the Confederate Army? For example, if someone helped a deserter hide out, would they be imprisoned or fined?
I founds lots of information on the fate of actual deserters, but not on people who might have aided them.
Thanks!

H. Allen

What happened to people who were caught aiding deserters from the Confederate Army? For example, if someone helped a deserter hide out, would they be imprisoned or fined?
I founds lots of information on the fate of actual deserters, but not on people who might have aided them.
Thanks!

H. Allen
Beaten and shot. I have posts about that in my thread Union vs CSA guerrillas" I also referenced it on sime militia threads. " Bitterly divided the Souths inner civil war"David Williams extensively covers that subject.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
Beaten and shot. I have posts about that in my thread Union vs CSA guerrillas" I also referenced it on sime militia threads. " Bitterly divided the Souths inner civil war"David Williams extensively covers that subject.
Leftyhunter

A few years at a Union graves dedication (five of Kilpatrick's men killed in the county by the Home Guard) a descendant of one of the men told how his ancestor deserted 3 times and went home Pennsylvania. The man said the authorities knew where to find him and went and got him without any women, children or pets shot or flogged.

A few years at a Union graves dedication (five of Kilpatrick's men killed in the county by the Home Guard) a descendant of one of the men told how his ancestor deserted 3 times and went home Pennsylvania. The man said the authorities knew where to find him and went and got him without any women, children or pets shot or flogged.
What does that have to do with the OP?
The OP is about Confederate response to those who aided Confederate deserters.
If anything your post demonstrates that the Union response was more humane. I do thank you for making that point.
Leftyhunter

Thanks!

H. Allen

In Missouri, giving direct aid to any confederate, or if someone suspected you gave aid, (to a deserter, soldier, recruiting officer, guerrilla), and you were a man, it would get you killed, your home and farm burned, your family turned out into the world. No trial, it was largely up to the commanding officer or who ever was in charge of the troops that showed up at your door to decide your fate. If you were a women, you would be imprisoned and/or banished from the state.

Just the act of being suspected by anyone of having southern sympathies would get you (men or women), imprisoned, or having to swear allegiance to the Federal Government and posting a bond, (anywhere from $500-$5000).

If anything your post demonstrates that the Union response was more humane. I do thank you for making that point.
Leftyhunter

The OP heading is entitled “Deserters.”

According to a descendant present at the ceremony, his ancestor deserted multiple times. If you have a problem with the
OP heading, maybe you should take it up with the originator.

The OP heading is entitled “Deserters.”

According to a descendant present at the ceremony, his ancestor deserted multiple times. If you have a problem with the
OP heading, maybe you should take it up with the originator.
The OP is how the Confederacy dealt with those who aided Confederate deserters. It is Intresting that from your post the Union response to deserters was not has harsh.
Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter
Lefty, why you always answer a question and then someone rebuts your post, you start hollerin' off topic?

Then the title of the thread is misleading.
One could sugest to @allenhs to politely change the title of the thread to something along the lines of "what consequences were suffered by those who aided Union and or Confederate deserters or draft/ conscrption evaders "?
One could suggest to also first read the OP before commenting.
We all ( those of us over 50 ) have senior moments so its not a major sin to skip a few words which affect reading compression. Lord knows I am not throwing stones at glass houses:yellowcarded:
Leftyhunter

One could sugest to @allenhs to politely change the title of the thread to something along the lines of "what consequences were suffered by those who aided Union and or Confederate deserters or draft/ conscrption evaders "?
One could suggest to also first read the OP before commenting.
We all ( those of us over 50 ) have senior moments so its not a major sin to skip a few words which affect reading compression. Lord knows I am not throwing stones at glass houses:yellowcarded:
Leftyhunter

Perhaps you should politely suggest it to him, I have no problem with the thread title as written.

Maybe that was the reason the Union had so many of them.
Very well. Now that we have cleared up the reading compression issue lets stick to the OP. I have a whole thread " how serious was desertion in the Union Army" if you wish to comment on that issue.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
Thanks!

H. Allen
An excellent book that covers the above subject in great detail with plenty of sources is "Bitterly divided the South's inner civil war" David Williams thepress.com
Yes our Neo Confederates hate tgat book but they can't seriously dispute it .
Leftyhunter

I apologize for the confusion that my thread title has apparently caused. I like to keep them short.

To clarify, I'm curious about how people living in the Confederacy would be punished for aiding deserters from the Confederate army. For example, if you helped a friend hide out from the authorities.

Back