Ancestry Discussions of JD Mayo

JD Mayo

Retired User
This is my 4th great grandfather's daughters family My 3 x great aunt story about during the civil war her name was Dacey Winn Parks.

April 9 1864 in a War torn area of Chariton County Missouri six Parks children became orphaned and two were basically on their own. One was probably on his own prior to Apr 1864. The names of the six children are William M., John, Sarah Elizabeth, Lee Jones, Noah Flood, and Columbus Aquillas Parks. This is their story. This is Will's.
William, "Will" to his family was born May 2 1850. The story will reveal he spent the majority of his young life on his own. His birth date will remain May the 12th as his headstone shows and was written in his Family Bible by him. He was the first born son of Lemuel B. Parks. The only descendant that I have found, of Lemuel B. Parks that is carrying on the Parks surname.
His mother was Dicey Winn the daughter of William Winn of Howard County, MO. Dicey died March 17 1852 in Chariton County, MO, soon after giving birth to their second son John Parks.
"Will" had told his family that he was raised by his Uncle Jed and his aunt. His aunt was not very nice to him. Who is Uncle Jed? Not a Winn, Hurt or a Parks can be found that fits the category of Uncle Jed. "Will" does not appear in the 1860 Chariton County Census with Lem & step mother Amelia, however brother John does.
In 1870 Chariton County census there is a 20 year old William Parks enumerated with Igal K. Stephenson, listed as hired hand. Mr. Stephenson was a prominent well known stock dealer. By process of elimination I believe this is Will son of Lemuel and Dicey Winn Parks.
I sent for guardianship records on Wm. from 1850-1864. The response was "Nothing can be found." If guardian ship papers were filed on William after the death of Dicey well, any Probate Record prior to 1861 was destroyed by the burning of the building that served as a courthouse.
It was WAR. Smack! Another brick wall.
Will's father, Lemuel B. Parks dies before Feb 4, 1864. Feb 4th is the date on his empty probate court record.
Smack! Empty~Another brick wall.
Two months later, Amelia, the step mother dies. "Will" being 14, and John is 12, what a young age to be alone in those God awful times.
So what happen to these two young lads, you ask? Well in the 1880 census of Chariton, Howard, Boone and Randolph counties nowhere can I find Wm., John, Sarah or Noah. Four out of the six.
The story goes "John and his half sister Sarah went to Texas first, but for some reason Will did not at that time. He grew dissatisfied and lonely after they left and he set out on foot from Missouri to find them. He did not have much money so he would ask farmers along the way if he could sleep in their barns or sheds. He risked being shot because everyone was so suspicious of one another from the Civil War. He looked for abandoned campsites and if he was lucky he might find some food left behind by other families."
How is that for a "Walk About"?
Will married in 1886, raised his family and remained in Texas. Some of his descendants still remain in the areas he first settled.

Parks Family.jpg

Found this in 1860 Chariton County census. Is this your family?

parks 1860 chariton county census.jpg

If this is your family, I think Noah is living in Maricopa, AZ in 1890. He is being raised by the Charles B Harris family in 1870 in Chariton County (Uncle Jed?)

Last edited:
Moses A. Colburn

Moses A Cloburn.jpg

My great great uncle's sister's Annie E Tidd's, her husbands brother is a Union soldier, Musician Company I 1st Maine Heavy Artillery.
I find it very interesting removed cousins or not are all related to each other some how threw my 4 X Great grandmother Mary E Winn Walton. What happens when you share the same DNA and come from big family's. I have several other yankee's in photos but his regiment I find most interesting because they had the greatest lost of men at the battle of Petersburgh

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these great stories

Your welcome. If you come from a family who faught in the American Reovlutionary War you can find so many lost relatives you can find threw your ancestors. It's so fascinating to me. When I'm not working because of Covid-19 I can do all this research now.

OK, you just got me. " Thomas " and " Henry " attached to " Walton ". Interesting. I realize they are awfully common names, the thing is our family's biggest brick wall is a grgrgrandfather Walton ( sorry, 50th PVI ). Actually the reason I did a DNA at all, he drives me batty. A ton of Walton hits are Southern, not the Philly Quaker hits you'd think here in PA. Those names are all over the place in the tree. Huh.

My 10th great grandfather was born in England but is buried in Marblehead Massachusetts Thomas Walton and his brother Anthony Walton who is my great great grandfather they descended from him. William Walton 1605-1668. Yes so many common names in that family to others people think that my great great grandfather was related to the "Walmart" family no they are not lol. I thought that to when I did my research.

My 10th great grandfather was born in England but is buried in Marblehead Massachusetts Thomas Walton and his brother Anthony Walton who is my great great grandfather they descended from him. William Walton 1605-1668. Yes so many common names in that family to others people think that my great great grandfather was related to the "Walmart" family no they are not lol. I thought that to when I did my research.

No, neither is mine- I forget where that one originated although dug around there out of sheer curiosity. Not altogether sure I'd be happy claiming it anyway. I ' think ' most of them were Quakers somewhere, probably part of the exodus hounded out of England. I do realize it's a little silly digging so hard for this man's origin, it's just one of those bugs in my ear because I can't find it.... . Genetic hits all the heck all over the place including New England. Like I said, making me a little batty.

No, neither is mine- I forget where that one originated although dug around there out of sheer curiosity. Not altogether sure I'd be happy claiming it anyway. I ' think ' most of them were Quakers somewhere, probably part of the exodus hounded out of England. I do realize it's a little silly digging so hard for this man's origin, it's just one of those bugs in my ear because I can't find it.... . Genetic hits all the heck all over the place including New England. Like I said, making me a little batty.
The early Quakers did settle up in the northeast. I live in Quaker country in Maine where I have met several Quaker historians (I believe that the scholarly center is in Portland, ME or vicinity). NEGHS has a pretty extensive source list: https://www.americanancestors.org/education/learning-resources/read/quaker-guide with links (you may have to register as a free guest--but, if you are blocked, let me know because I have a membership and am happy to summarize).

I read somewhere that the simplest way to get others to do the genealogical digging for you is to run for public office! 😂 Perhaps you and @JD Mayo ought to try that!

My 7th great grandfather's James Gaines I, his great nephew Benjamin Gaines Botts, his son is Colonel Laws Botts and interesting connection that Emdund P Gaines who is Benjamin Botts 1st cousin who arrested Aaron Burr for treason and Benjamin Botts was Burr's lawyer. Colonel Botts I guess is a great great cousin to me? Both him and his brothers Walters Botts and Benjamin Botts served for the South.

Colonel Laws Botts.jpg

Back