Definition of Nullification

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

prroh

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
I was thinking of the reciprocity argument for states where concealed carry is legal vs. states where it isn't. I.e., if you can carry concealed in State X but not State Y, lots of people think State Y should honor your State X license, whereas lots of other people say it's State Y's right to not allow it.

Personally, I think the latter group is correct.
Since prostitution is legal in Nevada, should a salesman from Nevada be exempted from the legal consequences of an encounter in a Route 80 Holiday Inn in Kansas?

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
No. That's the side I agree with.

Don't get me wrong, I also think State Y should allow it. But if they don't, they also have the right to not reciprocate. People try to compare it to driver's licenses; a State X driver's license is reciprocated in State Y. Somehow that does not seem like the same thing, but I can't put my finger on why.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Reciprocity is practiced in some states some of the time. Rarely is it given for a Nevadan on the road.

But you mentioned gun-laws. Last I heard, there were about 20 states that would recognize another state's laws. It is up to the individual to know what is in store when travelling across other states.

For example, Michigan requires helmets and a lit headlight on motorcycles. Illinois does not. The Illinois rider better know that, when he crosses the Michigan line, he'd better put on his helmet and turn on his headlights. No reciprocity there.

Ole

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Absolutely. You have to know what the law is where you're at.