Defense of Slavery in Virginia

trice

Lt. Colonel
Here is an early document, the Defense of Slavery in Virginia by the Reverend Peter Fontaine (1757).

Click here for a link.

Tim

Elijah

Private
Gabriel's Rebellion

I recently read a book on the 1800 & 1802 VA slave rebellions called 'Gabriel's Rebellion' by douglas Ecerton. Being very readable Mr. Ecerton painted a very interesting description of slavery as it existed in VA at the turn of the 19th century. The rebellions themselves weren't that dramatic. Seems Gabriel planned on everything except a thunderstorm which rained out his rebellion leaving everyone to hang without having rebelled at all. In any event, I felt the book review might be of interest in this thread.

Incidentally, why the Pinckney quote from 1788?

trice

Lt. Colonel
Incidentally, why the Pinckney quote from 1788?

Back when I first started here, I ran into people telling me everyone agreed that the states were independently sovereign in 1789.

The truth is that some did, some didn't, and some weren't sure.

Pinckney -- who was a well-educated man, a lawyer who studied in London and was the son of the King's attorney in South Carolina, and who was on the committee actually writing the new Constitution -- argued that they never were individually sovereign and independent, only collectively sovereign and independent. Tired of having to repeat posts as the same insistent demands that there was only one view were made time after time, I put the quote in my signature and left it there.

I'm probably just too lazy to change it.:smile:

Tim

OpnDownfall

Cadet
To me, the most interesting aspect, is that even in 1757, slavery was believed to need defending.
Either the author is wrestling with his conscience or there are people already making waves(Or Both)

JohnTaylor

Sergeant
R. L. Dabney

R. L. Dabney's Defense of Virginia and the South is also devoted mostly to a defense of the institution.