GRAPHIC Defenders Of Fort Mahone

Found the article I was thinking about.

I read this article just a few days ago. That article emphatically stated that the fallen soldiers were from North Carolina regiments. I can't say whether the author is correct or not, but it does stand in contrast to the other links provided in this thread that indicate the troops were from Alabama. I'd be interested in seeing what this thread concludes in that regard.

These pictures are fascinating in so many ways (who was this soldier, what regiment did he belong to, what does the photo reveal about his equipment, etc, etc) , but the lingering takeaway from all of them is the tragedy of war.

they all died with there boots on, but in some pictures the boots are missing?

I read this article just a few days ago. That article emphatically stated that the fallen soldiers were from North Carolina regiments. I can't say whether the author is correct or not, but it does stand in contrast to the other links provided in this thread that indicate the troops were from Alabama. I'd be interested in seeing what this thread concludes in that regard.

These pictures are fascinating in so many ways (who was this soldier, what regiment did he belong to, what does the photo reveal about his equipment, etc, etc) , but the lingering takeaway from all of them is the tragedy of war.

I think the confusion comes from two things:

1. Two Brigades came together behind Ft. Mahone
2. Ft. Mahone was out in front of the main line

Here are two maps from my Siege of Petersburg site:

• Troop Movement Map by Ed Bearss: Bearss shows the 53rd North Carolina defending Ft. Mahone as the Ninth Corps attack started. This is a HUGE map by the way. Let it load completely and then zoom in to the bottom left corner
  • Edward Alexander's map: He doesn't specify a regiment, and you can easily see how Hobson's Alabamians and Cowand's North Carolinians came together behind Mahone.
I think the men in the image were North Carolinians, specifically of the 53rd NC. I wonder if a casualty list exists in some paper for this unit. I doubt it, due to the late date of the fight. Someone could look through the Compiled Service Records of the 53rd NC at Fold3.com and see if they can find men who were killed on April 2, 1865.

I think the confusion comes from two things:

1. Two Brigades came together behind Ft. Mahone
2. Ft. Mahone was out in front of the main line

Here are two maps from my Siege of Petersburg site:

• Troop Movement Map by Ed Bearss: Bearss shows the 53rd North Carolina defending Ft. Mahone as the Ninth Corps attack started. This is a HUGE map by the way. Let it load completely and then zoom in to the bottom left corner
  • Edward Alexander's map: He doesn't specify a regiment, and you can easily see how Hobson's Alabamians and Cowand's North Carolinians came together behind Mahone.
I think the men in the image were North Carolinians, specifically of the 53rd NC. I wonder if a casualty list exists in some paper for this unit. I doubt it, due to the late date of the fight. Someone could look through the Compiled Service Records of the 53rd NC at Fold3.com and see if they can find men who were killed on April 2, 1865.
Sorry for the late reply. How do we know they were from the 53rd North Carolina?

This article gives an exact location for the photos taken of the dead at Fort Mahone.

This was near Battery 27.

I get the sense that some staging was done here.
ETA: I just noticed what's possibly an Enfield Ladder Sight askew on this weapon.
Confederate musket.png

Last edited:
When I was in the service during the early "oughts" I never would have dreamed in a million years that I would have no food, no boots, or not enough ammunition. Sure, there was hardship and "want" but I didn't worry about starving or dying from exposure. I took Uncle Sam for granted, but even in the worst times I at least always had access to MREs, some water, and an extra set of socks.

Those men pictured seemed to be in such a desperate situation in their own BACKYARD! I know that their boots were most likely looted but I am aware at some points the rebs had no shoes or food within their own lines. (I also noticed the soldier in the jacket, that surprised me).

It really drives home the point of how hard these men fought; the conviction and determination of the men of all ranks is inspiring. I imagine some of those men died alone on a line so sparsely defended they were a great distance apart from one another.

Thank you for sharing; it really puts things into perspective. I also do not wish to neglect mentioning the sacrifices of the men and women who lent their services to the effort.

I hope them poor souls were not interfered with like the dead at Gettysburg. In the Devils Den in particular I’ve read reports that dead soldiers were moved around for photographic purposes. It’s an abhorrent act to interfere with a dead soldier. The Christian thing would be the bury the fallen and not spend your time using them as battlefield props.

Last edited:
I hope them poor souls were not inferred with like the dead a Gettysburg. In the Devils Den in particular I’ve read reports that dead soldiers were moved around for photographic purposes. It’s an abhorrent act to interfere with a dead soldier. The Christian thing would be the bury the fallen and not spend your time using them as battlefield props.
You might find my two threads on the "perps" both interesting and informative, going a long way to explain the macabre behavior:

Be sure to look through the entire threads because there were many other relevant posts made later in them.

When I was in the service during the early "oughts" I never would have dreamed in a million years that I would have no food, no boots, or not enough ammunition. Sure, there was hardship and "want" but I didn't worry about starving or dying from exposure. I took Uncle Sam for granted, but even in the worst times I at least always had access to MREs, some water, and an extra set of socks.

Those men pictured seemed to be in such a desperate situation in their own BACKYARD! I know that their boots were most likely looted but I am aware at some points the rebs had no shoes or food within their own lines. (I also noticed the soldier in the jacket, that surprised me).

It really drives home the point of how hard these men fought; the conviction and determination of the men of all ranks is inspiring. I imagine some of those men died alone on a line so sparsely defended they were a great distance apart from one another.

Thank you for sharing; it really puts things into perspective. I also do not wish to neglect mentioning the sacrifices of the men and women who lent their services to the effort.
Just puts into perspective the futility of fighting on and why I have disdain for Lee as a humane and compassionate man.

Lee should have surrendered in late 1864 , Nobody was coming to his aid his army was deserting at a rapid rate and supplies had been diminished due to the valley and Sherman's march to the sea , Texas cattle had been cut off since Grant took Vicksburg and Hood and his army virtually destroyed it was all over by Nov 64.

A humane and decent man would have spared any further fighting , These men had given it their all Lee should have recognized this and done the decent thing instead of letting his pride rule his brain imho.

Just puts into perspective the futility of fighting on and why I have disdain for Lee as a humane and compassionate man.

Lee should have surrendered in late 1864 , Nobody was coming to his aid his army was deserting at a rapid rate and supplies had been diminished due to the valley and Sherman's march to the sea , Texas cattle had been cut off since Grant took Vicksburg and Hood and his army virtually destroyed it was all over by Nov 64.

A humane and decent man would have spared any further fighting , These men had given it their all Lee should have recognized this and done the decent thing instead of letting his pride rule his brain imho.
Let's stay on topic.
We're trying to figure out the unit these men belonged to.

The Bearss map shows "53 NC" inside of Ft. Mahone if you zoom in on it after loading it. Bearss believed the 53rd NC was defending Ft. Mahone. I can only assume he had one or more sources stating this.
I'm not so sure. Without seeing his sources I don't feel comfortable with stating it was the 53rd North Carolina for a fact.

Let's stay on topic.
We're trying to figure out the unit these men belonged to.
I would imagine you will never find out and that's the point Lee's army was in a dire strait many units would have been depleted to the point of any number of regiments could have been mixed together to bring them up to strength.

April 9th (The regiment surrendered 6 officers and 81 enlisted men.).

Given the casualties suffered in the march the regiment had an estimated strength of around 140 men.

In a static defence with depleted forces you are almost certain to never find out as men were rushed to where they were needed in the interior lines meaning many units would get mixed up.

Its an impossible task to be fair although I wish you luck.

the weapons are leaning against the woven saplings filled with dirt. that seems to me to have been picked up after when picture taking was in progress?

Back