Defacing negatives and other surprising things found in CW photos

The original negative of the Grant photograph (in the National Archives) is still good enough from which to make a decent print. Perhaps the doctored negative was a copy. It is difficult to say for certain.
B-36 Grant at Cold Harbor.jpg

Bumping some of Wilbur's thread and looking for the extremely long thread where members examined small details in photos. Remember it's an amazing thread- someone mentioned 88 pages!

Can't decide whether this was from damage originally done on purpose, where more image flaked off later or just an unfortunate place for an old photo to decide to decay. Ebay- never checked to see if it sold.

face damaged.JPG

I've never seen this before. I have two images in my collection that are unusual in that one is blood stained by a wound from Shiloh. In back of the image it mentions the blood stains, belonged to a member of the 16th Wis. Vols.. The image is believed to be of his wife. The other image is of an unidentified infantry soldier with a pageboy haircut, a lock of his hair is between the glass and the image frame.
Do show us !

Back