Dedication of Michigan Cavalry Brigade monument at East Cavalry Field (neat old photo!)

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
image.jpg

This photo is of the dedication of the Michigan Cavalry Brigade monument at Gettysburg's East Cavalry Field on June 12, 1889. The man in the middle of the front group in Gov. Cyrus Luce (big top hat). Notice that there is another group back at the monument, looking like they're listening maybe to a speech being given as part of the dedication. Looks sort of messy (see the puddles and the mud) weather-wise.

Here's a closer look at the front group. Kind of interesting to look at the expressions!

image.jpg

Cool! Looks like they had rocks for people to step on (see that man all the way to the L on the first picture) instead of the puddles. Indeed, those expressions are precious :smile:

It is interesting that there are a couple things going on:
- in the background you have an official talking (maybe the dedication?)
- and in the foreground you have a bunch of delegates (see the delegate badges) posing for a shot, making faces

I don't see any badges in the crowd listening in the back, and most of the men are wearing officer uniforms (albeit not cavalry, that yellow in the shoulder boards would be lighter) so I wonder if that is a bunch of veterans and/or families... 25 years ago, some of those guys look at least middle aged, so who knows...

Interesting

I'm surprised to see that Libby Custer seems not to be in attendance, considering her Autie is portrayed prominently in a medallion on the front! (Unless maybe she's in the background group, which seems unlikely.) Here's a recent (Aug., 2014) view:

086-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo Pam, Where did you find it? The two men to the right of the governor appear to be down wind of a skunk.
JH Harker Chaplain 4th OVI

Believe it or not, I just did a Google images search for historic photos monuments Gettysburg, and it was one of the results. It was part of a blog post on the CW. Sometimes I do those searches just to see what can find. :smile:

The looks on those two guys caught my attention first--they look totally disgusted with something about Luce!

Although this thread is a couple of years old, I thought I would comment. After several years of searching, last year I was finally able to track down my mother's grandfather with conclusive evidence he was the correct person. It turned out, Pvt Paul Ellsworth of Company B, 5th Michigan Cavalry is my great grandfather. Also located his grave in the Graceland Cemetery in Chicago. There is no headstone or marker for this veteran. I have submitted and application to the VA to have one installed.

Since this veteran is a new found ancestor, I am still in the process of finding additional sources to learn more about the service of the 5th Cavalry. Internet searches have been made and service records and pension application have been obtained. So far, "Under Custer's Command" by Avery, "Glorious War" by Hatch, "Personal Recollections" by Kidd have been read. According to service records, Paul Ellsworth was never wounded or absent due to illness. He absent in Dismounted Camp for the Muster of Sept/Oct 1863 and again after his horse was killed at Hawe's Shop. Recommendations for further reading to learn about the service of the 5th Michigan Cavalry would be much appreciated.

View attachment 55932

This photo is of the dedication of the Michigan Cavalry Brigade monument at Gettysburg's East Cavalry Field on June 12, 1889. The man in the middle of the front group in Gov. Cyrus Luce (big top hat). Notice that there is another group back at the monument, looking like they're listening maybe to a speech being given as part of the dedication. Looks sort of messy (see the puddles and the mud) weather-wise.

Here's a closer look at the front group. Kind of interesting to look at the expressions!

View attachment 55933
They didn't smile much back then, did they?

Back