NF Decisions, decisions....

Non-Fiction

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
Before leaving on an extended work trip, as covered in two other threads, I was gifted three CW books. All three look to be interesting reads, but with a stack of several dozen books awaiting my undivided attention. I was thrilled to be given such a gracious gift, (can't say I'm used to gifts), but looking over this newfound bounty, I couldn't help but ask myself, "Which one first?" hence this thread.

So the three contenders are:

1. "Flames and Vengeance: The East Texas Fires and Presidential Election of 1860" by David Stroud
(This has piqued my interest since I'm from NE Texas, plus its one of 300 hardcover edition given to the friend who passed it to me, by the author when he was a student of his, truly touching gift to me)

2. "To Appomattox: Nine April Days 1865" by Burke Davis
(Thanks to a thread started by @Mr King and it being mentioned, I'm quite curious about this oldy.)

3. "The Last Days of the Confederacy: An Eyewitness Account of the Fall of Richmond, Capital City of the Confederate States" by A.A. Hoehling & Mary Hoehling
(This one I don't know what to make of, great subject and first hand accounts, can't get more interesting than that!)

So for this thread, and mainly because I don't know which I should start with, or which will be best recommended by our many awesome members, I'm gonna put the decision to everyone here.

What say you on the best first choice?

I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts, plus I reckon it only fitting I do a Book Review on the first one read for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read through them yet. I can't wait to hear y'all's thoughts, help me decide!

My father introduced me to the Civil War, in 1959, with hot-off-the-press Burke Davis books -- Lee, Stuart and Appomattox. Enjoyed them all.

The copy of "To Appomattox" I was given is a circa-1959 copy. Looks like its never saw much reading.

I didn't realize it was such a popular book, I couldn't even say if its still being printed. Shows how aware of it I am.

That's a lot of the fun, the discovery. :smile:

Oh come on Mr. Unionblue I don't want that school assignment, everyone knows what happened at Appomattox. :D

Well this thread isn't a day old yet, and the only recommendation has been Appomattox, I'll wait to see if anyone else has a say on the other books.

So far all votes go to number 2, any votes on the other two?

Last edited:
The copy of "To Appomattox" I was given is a circa-1959 copy. Looks like its never saw much reading.

I didn't realize it was such a popular book, I couldn't even say if its still being printed. Shows how aware of it I am.
Check Amazon and you will see that an e-book version was just released a couple of years ago, as well as hardback and paperback versions.

I'll have to look that up and bear it in mind

Just to clarify, I don't have anything against reading and reviewing "To Appomattox".

Two of my GG-Grandfather's were there with the Army of Northern Virginia, (60th Alabama, made the last attack at Appomattox, and my other GG-Grandfather I think was in the 33rd Virginia), and I have GGG-Grandfather who was a cavalryman in the ANV. So I don't mind reading and reviewing "To Appomattox" a different book is always a nice choice. Its been quite some time since I read something not Trans-Mississippi.

Its looking more and more like it shall be "To Appomattox". The tally is:

1.-0
2.-7 (counting @unionblue's persistence and demands as several votes)
3.-0

Well heck I'm just surprised at how, unanimous this is. That being said I've already started reading "To Appomattox". So far looks like a good read, I didn't realize it was a novel.

I just finished reading To Appomattox. It isn't a novel. It's non-fiction. An entertaining read, but not very helpful for scholars who want to trace the sources of his quotes. Most of the viewpoints are from the Confederate side. In those vignettes, he calls the Union side "the enemy" (sort of like Lee called Union soldiers "those people"). Anyway, it's as good a place to start as any!

Back