December National Fruitcake and Eggnog Month

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
December is also called National Fruitcake and Eggnog month. This is from the Nibble site on foods of the day, week and month.

Of course this is so appropriate. I know there are several fruitcake and eggnog threads on the forum. However, if any of you have your own recipe or family one please add.

I actually like fruitcake and eggnog. My Granny made the best fruitcake. I have posted her recipe in another thread. Her cakes were so moist. They were never dry like some fruitcake. She just had a special way of making them. I still have her old fruitcake pan. It is another one of my treasures.

Some of the best eggnog was made by an old dairy, called Oscar Ewing. My Dad worked for them for a few years when he was young. At Christmas time they made this eggnog. The dairy was in Louisville, Ky. It was so rich and creamy. I guess when I think about it, some of the best there ever was, at least to me.

I used to love eggnog, but find it too rich now for my taste. My boys buy it as soon as it comes on the market and cut it half and half with regular milk and drink it like it was chocolate milk. My husband loves the stuff, but can't drink it because he has an intolerance for the carrageenan that the dairies use as a stabilizer. just as well, as he shouldn't be drinking it anyway!
Now, fruitcake on the other hand, I love and will eat anytime. There is a custom in my family that you must eat a piece of fruitcake everyday during the Twelve Days of Christmas, so you will have good luck for the coming year. I have no idea where it came from, probably invented by some other fruitcake lover as another excuse to eat cake!

Have you tried the Evan Williams Eggnog? It is good but powerful, would suggest adding a bit more eggnog or you will be under the table quickly! Their Apple flavoured drink is good too!
Usually get egg nog and add rum or Jack Daniels. Tried Mr. Boston egg nog a few years ago but it is a bit too strong. Even without an "additive" I just love egg nog.

I was unaware Evan Williams made their own egg nog, always added my own.
Jack or rum is very good too..... now this is Christmas talking.
Forget those mimosas.

It is a little known but widely believed fact that at Christmas time in 1864 at the battle of Fuzzy Critter Mountain, Confederates, being out of ammunition, rolled fruitcakes down upon the enemy thereby crushing hundreds and turning the fight for Fuzzy Critter into a complete victory.

Source: Little known facts your grandfather told you when he had too much eggnog. ( University of the Confederacy Press, Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia. 1866, p. 2,3004)

Many of my relatives and friends like fruitcake. My husband loved it. Now he can't have it because of the nuts. he can't have any nuts. He loved Pecan Pie too and has had to give it up. I feel really bad for him but you have to take care of your health. I don't make fruitcake or pecan pie anymore. Just get a piece once in a while if out at a restaurant or someone else's party.

Many of my relatives and friends like fruitcake. My husband loved it. Now he can't have it because of the nuts. he can't have any nuts. He loved Pecan Pie too and has had to give it up. I feel really bad for him but you have to take care of your health. I don't make fruitcake or pecan pie anymore. Just get a piece once in a while if out at a restaurant or someone else's party.
Make your fruit cake batter without nuts, put some batter in one pan, and then add nuts to the rest of the batter. I used to do this for a friend who had a nut allergy.

Back