December 4 is National Cookie Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
December 4 is National Cookie Day. Know we all have lots of favorite cookies and recipes for cookies. With Christmas coming, many will be baking cookies for family and friends.

Candy Cane Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs, syrup, and vanilla. With mixer on low, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt until well blended. Divide dough in half. Add food coloring and peppermint extract to one half. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll with your hands 1 rounded tablespoon plain dough into a 6 inch rope. Repeat using 1 teaspoonful red rough. Place ropes side by side and twist together gently to form a candy cane. Pinch the ends tightly and form one end into a hook. Using a spatula, transfer cookie onto ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.

This is a fun and festive cookie to make.

Here is an old family favorite.

Peanut Butter Balls

3/4 cup margarine
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 lb confectioner' sugar

Melt margarine and peanut butter in a sauce pan on low heat. Stir well and remove from heat. Add confectioner's sugar and heat until well blended. Roll mixture into small balls. Refrigerate on wax paper for at least 2 hours. Better if left overnight.

Chocolate covering

12 oz package of milk chocolate chips ( 1 1/2 to 2 bags

Dip shaped peanut butter balls in the chocolate. First of all melt chocolate in a double boiler until smooth. Turn around to completely cover the ball. Place on waxed paper and let chocolate become hard. Store in refrigerator. Usually ready in about an hour.

Makes 4 dozen.

The first cookie I ever made was hermit cookies! Still love them.

Hermit Cookies:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (205 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup (130 grams) dark or golden raisins
1 cup (130 grams) dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) walnuts, coarsely chopped

Glaze: (optional)

1/2 cup (55 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
2 - 3 tablespoons milk or light cream

Hermit Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly butter or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add this mixture to the batter and beat until combined. Fold in the raisins, chopped dates, and chopped walnuts.

To form each cookie, drop about one tablespoonful of the batter onto your baking sheet, spacing the cookies about two inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm around the edges but still a little soft in the center. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Glaze: In a small bowl stir together the sugar and enough milk (cream) to make a smooth, thick, yet pourable glaze. Once the cookies are completely cool, use a small spoon to drizzle several thin lines of the glaze over each cookie. Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the glaze has completely dried.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature for about five days, or they can be frozen.

Makes about 36 cookies.

The recipe has a glaze, which is dandy, but I like to actually ice them!

Expired Image Removed

The first cookie I ever made was hermit cookies! Still love them.

Hermit Cookies:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (205 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup (130 grams) dark or golden raisins
1 cup (130 grams) dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) walnuts, coarsely chopped

Glaze: (optional)

1/2 cup (55 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
2 - 3 tablespoons milk or light cream

Hermit Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly butter or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add this mixture to the batter and beat until combined. Fold in the raisins, chopped dates, and chopped walnuts.

To form each cookie, drop about one tablespoonful of the batter onto your baking sheet, spacing the cookies about two inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm around the edges but still a little soft in the center. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Glaze: In a small bowl stir together the sugar and enough milk (cream) to make a smooth, thick, yet pourable glaze. Once the cookies are completely cool, use a small spoon to drizzle several thin lines of the glaze over each cookie. Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the glaze has completely dried.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature for about five days, or they can be frozen.

Makes about 36 cookies.

The recipe has a glaze, which is dandy, but I like to actually ice them!

Expired Image Removed
I have that same recipe for Hermits! Used to make them with my mom and haven't had them in forever. I'm going to make a batch for old times' sake. :smile coffee:

The Hermits sound delicious. Going to have to make them.

My chapter of United Daughters of Confederacy has its Christmas Party on Saturday, Dec. 6th. I will bring cookies and Christmas candy as dessert.

I also will be giving out the ornaments that my daughter and I made. They all have Civil War theme, concentrating on the Confederacy. I have already mailed some today to some ladies who can't come on Saturday.

One of our members who has cancer loves anything John Hunt Morgan. Her great great grandfather rode with him. I did her ornament on Morgan. I was really pleased with that one. I mailed hers today.

My Nana ( great grandmother ) had her sister's recipe for Hermits, from PEI. It can't be ancient since she used small marshmallows? Drat it. Now I'm all side tracked on when in blazes marshmallows were invented. You should live in this head.

Ok, well I just tried to post it. Turns out I filed her date balls under ' Hermits '. I was never here.

Christmas Tree Cookies

4 cups flour sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and mace
8 ounces of honey
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
colored sugar or melted chocolate to decorate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and spices. Blend honey, syrup, sugar and egg. Mix dry ingredients and honey mixture. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into Christmas tree shapes. Brush with water and sprinkle with colored sugar, or after baking dip in melted chocolate. Bake 10 minutes or until firm.

Makes 50 t0 60 cookies.

Today is National Cookie Day. I am adding old recipe for fresh ginger cookies.

11/2 sticks butter. softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsulphured molasses
2 egg41/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
11/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

In bowl beat together butter and sugar. Blend in molasses. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll dough into 11/2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

A wonderful cookie for the Holidays.

I thought I would share one of my favourite cookie recipies for today :D

Homemade Oreo Cookies

Oreos:
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (156g) all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
  • 1/2 cup (41g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Cream Filling:
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (48g) vegetable shortening, room temperature
  • 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners' sugar

Recipe:

1. Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a dough is formed. Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Chilling is mandatory.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

4. Roll the dough into small balls, 2 teaspoons of slightly chilled dough per ball, and place 12 on each baking sheet. Press down on the balls to slightly flatten as pictured above. Bake each batch for 6-8 minutes. These cookies are small and bake very quickly. They will appear soft when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. You'll make 3-4 batches (38-40 cookies total).

5. While the cookies are cooling, make the cream filling: In a small bowl using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer off and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute and then switch to high and beat for 1 more minute until creamy and combined.

6. Spread cream filling between two cooled chocolate cookies. Repeat with the rest. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week.

OK, this is the cookie thread. I do mean THE COOKIE THREAD !!!
It's also pretty close to Christmas.
So I need something, some direction and I need it badly.
Can anyone tell me, or direct me, or give me a link, or give me a hint, or relate their experiences with the most heavenly cookie I've ever tasted.
The almighty SPRITZ !!!
I need to have, to find the best recipe for this cookie.
For decades it was a Christmas staple then all of a sudden the newer generations didn't know how to make it... didn't have the tools...was missing a part of the recipe (passed down orally)..forgot one of the ingredients ,,,,,,and on and on....excuse after creative excuse.....
And it hasn't been made for years.
Can someone offer help and guidance?
😳

I thought I would share one of my favourite cookie recipies for today :D

Homemade Oreo Cookies

Oreos:
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (156g) all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
  • 1/2 cup (41g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature

Cream Filling:
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (48g) vegetable shortening, room temperature
  • 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners' sugar

Recipe:

1. Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a dough is formed. Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Chilling is mandatory.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

4. Roll the dough into small balls, 2 teaspoons of slightly chilled dough per ball, and place 12 on each baking sheet. Press down on the balls to slightly flatten as pictured above. Bake each batch for 6-8 minutes. These cookies are small and bake very quickly. They will appear soft when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. You'll make 3-4 batches (38-40 cookies total).

5. While the cookies are cooling, make the cream filling: In a small bowl using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer off and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute and then switch to high and beat for 1 more minute until creamy and combined.

6. Spread cream filling between two cooled chocolate cookies. Repeat with the rest. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Oh, yum!!

Back