December 4 is National Cookie Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
December 4 is National Cookie Day. Know we all have lots of favorite cookies and recipes for cookies. With Christmas coming, many will be baking cookies for family and friends.

Candy Cane Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs, syrup, and vanilla. With mixer on low, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt until well blended. Divide dough in half. Add food coloring and peppermint extract to one half. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll with your hands 1 rounded tablespoon plain dough into a 6 inch rope. Repeat using 1 teaspoonful red rough. Place ropes side by side and twist together gently to form a candy cane. Pinch the ends tightly and form one end into a hook. Using a spatula, transfer cookie onto ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.

This is a fun and festive cookie to make.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here is an old family favorite.

Peanut Butter Balls

3/4 cup margarine
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 lb confectioner' sugar

Melt margarine and peanut butter in a sauce pan on low heat. Stir well and remove from heat. Add confectioner's sugar and heat until well blended. Roll mixture into small balls. Refrigerate on wax paper for at least 2 hours. Better if left overnight.

Chocolate covering

12 oz package of milk chocolate chips ( 1 1/2 to 2 bags

Dip shaped peanut butter balls in the chocolate. First of all melt chocolate in a double boiler until smooth. Turn around to completely cover the ball. Place on waxed paper and let chocolate become hard. Store in refrigerator. Usually ready in about an hour.

Makes 4 dozen.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The first cookie I ever made was hermit cookies! Still love them.

Hermit Cookies:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (205 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup (130 grams) dark or golden raisins
1 cup (130 grams) dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) walnuts, coarsely chopped

Glaze: (optional)

1/2 cup (55 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
2 - 3 tablespoons milk or light cream

Hermit Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly butter or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add this mixture to the batter and beat until combined. Fold in the raisins, chopped dates, and chopped walnuts.

To form each cookie, drop about one tablespoonful of the batter onto your baking sheet, spacing the cookies about two inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm around the edges but still a little soft in the center. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Glaze: In a small bowl stir together the sugar and enough milk (cream) to make a smooth, thick, yet pourable glaze. Once the cookies are completely cool, use a small spoon to drizzle several thin lines of the glaze over each cookie. Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the glaze has completely dried.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature for about five days, or they can be frozen.

Makes about 36 cookies.

The recipe has a glaze, which is dandy, but I like to actually ice them!

The first cookie I ever made was hermit cookies! Still love them.

Hermit Cookies:

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (205 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup (130 grams) dark or golden raisins
1 cup (130 grams) dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) walnuts, coarsely chopped

Glaze: (optional)

1/2 cup (55 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
2 - 3 tablespoons milk or light cream

Hermit Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly butter or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add this mixture to the batter and beat until combined. Fold in the raisins, chopped dates, and chopped walnuts.

To form each cookie, drop about one tablespoonful of the batter onto your baking sheet, spacing the cookies about two inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are firm around the edges but still a little soft in the center. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Glaze: In a small bowl stir together the sugar and enough milk (cream) to make a smooth, thick, yet pourable glaze. Once the cookies are completely cool, use a small spoon to drizzle several thin lines of the glaze over each cookie. Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the glaze has completely dried.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature for about five days, or they can be frozen.

Makes about 36 cookies.

The recipe has a glaze, which is dandy, but I like to actually ice them!

I have that same recipe for Hermits! Used to make them with my mom and haven't had them in forever. I'm going to make a batch for old times' sake. :smile coffee:

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Hermits sound delicious. Going to have to make them.

My chapter of United Daughters of Confederacy has its Christmas Party on Saturday, Dec. 6th. I will bring cookies and Christmas candy as dessert.

I also will be giving out the ornaments that my daughter and I made. They all have Civil War theme, concentrating on the Confederacy. I have already mailed some today to some ladies who can't come on Saturday.

One of our members who has cancer loves anything John Hunt Morgan. Her great great grandfather rode with him. I did her ornament on Morgan. I was really pleased with that one. I mailed hers today.

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
My Nana ( great grandmother ) had her sister's recipe for Hermits, from PEI. It can't be ancient since she used small marshmallows? Drat it. Now I'm all side tracked on when in blazes marshmallows were invented. You should live in this head.

Ok, well I just tried to post it. Turns out I filed her date balls under ' Hermits '. I was never here.