December 2016 PotM Winner announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
r0xesk.jpg

Congratulations @dlavin !!!

One of the best photos in any of the comps on this site. Beautifully taken really. I choose one of the pics each month to use as my PC wallpaper and this one really looked great on my big monitor.
Also, it shows what an indefensible position Harper's Ferry really was.

image.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations @dlavin . Great shot. What kinda camera didja use for that shot? Good job also to those that came close.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and for those who voted for me. I really appreciate it, it means a lot. I was torn between a few photos to submit this month, and it was my wife the suggested this one. So she should probably get some credit...whats the saying...behind every good man, there's a what?

I would strongly encourage everyone to go to Harper's Ferry. It was my first time walking around and hiking there. The Maryland Heights trail, if you go all the way up to the Fort trail and back down, is a doozey. Though the shot was taken at the "overlook" which is part of the overlook trail from Maryland Heights, which you can see from the C&O canal trail if you look up above the railroad tunnel. We also walked portions of several other trails that day, but none were as stunning as Maryland Heights, but definitely gave an appreciation of how indefensible the town of Harpers Ferry is.

As for the technical aspect of it, I use a Sony A6300 mirrorless camera, which is not a full frame camera. I'd have to check the photo when I get home to see the focal distance, aperature, etc. Oddly enough this photo was taken with the white balance as luminescent, rather than daylight , which lends the blueish tint to it.

Congrats!!!! Harper's Ferry is absolutely beautiful. When you are there it is like stepping back in time 150 years. If I could, I would move there in a nanosecond!!!!
Hmmm...
What I found pretty disenchanting is that they have disassembled the "John Brown Fort" four times and each time it became a little smaller. And it stands not even where it stood when Jeb Stuart raised his hat as a signal for the Marines to attack ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back