December 10 National Lager Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
December 10 is National Lager Day. I am sure many of you have your favorites.

In America it is written that "in 1840 John Wagner brought yeast from his native Bavaria and brewed the nation's first lager beer in Philadelphia. German immigrants began brewing lagers, which soon became popular and promoted growth of America's brewing industry."

There is historic marker in the neighborhood where it was first brewed. See:

http://www.mbaa.com/districts/Philadelphia/about/history/Pages/HistoryFirstLager.aspx

More on the history of American lager at:

Not a big lager fan, and when you make it "Lite" you might as well drink water. It's a lot cheaper. Give me a good dark beer any time. A Microbrewery in Port Williams, Nova Scotia makes a marvellous Porter, called "Port in a Storm". I call it chocolate beer.

In America it is written that "in 1840 John Wagner brought yeast from his native Bavaria and brewed the nation's first lager beer in Philadelphia. German immigrants began brewing lagers, which soon became popular and promoted growth of America's brewing industry."

http://www.mbaa.com/districts/Philadelphia/about/history/Pages/HistoryFirstLager.aspx

I had a bottle of Sam Adams White Christmas lager the other day. Very good, it has a definite nutmeg flavor, and also said to contain cinnamon and orange peel.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll Drink to that........aahhhhh

While I tend to prefer pale ales or wheat ales, my current favorite lager is Weed Brewery's Lemurian Lager.

Sorry about the gigantic picture! At any rate, Mt Shasta is world renowned for its pristine and sweet water, which comes straight off the glaciers of the mountain. The headwaters of California's largest river, the Sacramento, are in the park. Excellent water makes quite good beer.

What is a Lemurian? It's a person from Lemuria, located on the lost continent of Mu - which is now under the Pacific Ocean. They live inside Mt Shasta. They look just like us except for that third eye in the middle of their foreheads. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is territory you do not want to venture into with me. Unless you want to know about home-brewing. It's completely another different expensive hobby; but rewarding if not instantly gratifying. I've got LOTS of recipes. The Lord gave us grain, which any fool can eat. Let me teach you now, the art of brewing BEER.

White Christmas is apparently only available in the variety packs, which are not available in Canada, but we can get the Winter Lager.

This is territory you do not want to venture into with me. Unless you want to know about home-brewing. It's completely another different expensive hobby; but rewarding if not instantly gratifying. I've got LOTS of recipes. The Lord gave us grain, which any fool can eat. Let me teach you now, the art of brewing BEER.

Oregon is the leading state for craft beers and home brews. Every little burgh big enough to have a post office and some empty spot big enough for a barrel will have its very own beer and are very proud of it. In fact, 10 Barrel in Bend went and sold itself to...shudder!...Anheuser-Busch. The former owners almost got tarred and feathered but nobody could find a rail - lumber went bust a long time ago which is why beer boomed! :laugh:

Now there's a food/drink day I can get behind. Yuengling amber lager is a personal favorite.

Back