GRAPHIC Dead soldier in Antietam photo possibly identified

Don Troiani Art at the sunken road with General Lee depicting a scene with John B. Gordon. Gordon was up on the upper left of the road not the right wing. Looks like the unit in the artwork is the 11th Alabama considering the flag he drew. I just wonder why Troiani decided to use that flag in this picture. Call me silly, but things like this perplex me. Ambiguity I guess.
I found this one interesting because the flag in the picture looks to be the 11th Alabama flag that was captured by the 57th Penn, Brookes Brigade. The 11th, Wilcox brigade moved up to reinforce the right wing of the Sunken road. I don't think Lee would have been up there when they moved in the hot and heavy fighting. If not mistaken the sunken road was already falling when they moved up there, they were listed as only having 3 dead, 26 wounded so sounds like they went up and fell back rather fast.
View attachment 14528

Here is the 11th Alabama Flag from civil war trust that was captured. There is also another one that is listed as 11th alabama that doesn't have the seven pines on it. Both are listed as being 11th alabama captured by 57th Inf. So, were they using two flags?
View attachment 14527View attachment 14529
Here is a drawing of the 11th alabama taking on an artillery unit at Glendale. The flag has the seven pines on it.
View attachment 14530
I believe the painting is of Lee inspecting D. H. Hill's lines in the Sunken Road before the fight began. The troops are probably from the 6th Alabama, John B. Gordon being their colonel.

But I see what you're saying about the flag. The 6th Alabama's flag doesn't have Seven Pines at the top, so you're saying it looks like the 11th's flag, correct?

Edit: Coming back to this, I think the flag is supposed to be an earlier flag of the 6th. It is a Richmond Depot second bunting issue, notable by the orange border. The "Seven Pines!" battle honor was applied to many RD second bunting issues, so there were others that looked identical to the 11th's surviving flag.

The only surviving flag of the 6th Alabama (that I am aware of) is a RD third bunting issue, not issued to the 6th Alabama until 1863 (see here). So Troiani probably just made a guess as to what the 6th's flag looked like at Antietam based on others in use at that time, or else an earlier flag of theirs still survives out there.

Last edited:
Back