2014 Photo Contest Dawn Over Union Camp, Shiloh

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
IM000871a.JPG

Dawn Over Union Artillery Camp, Sesquicentennial Shiloh, April, 2012.

I have to ask-- Which Shiloh?

Makes me want to trot out the bugle and sound reville. Imagine the bleary eyed guys stumbling out of their tents scratching and cussin' up a storm. At which point I'd sound retreat and beat a hasty one.

As it says in the caption this was the 150th or Sesquicentennial in 2012; Ole, at the time I took this, many of the inhabitants were already GONE - to the non-spectator free-for-all Saturday morning tactical that represented the beginning of the actual battle when the Confederates ran into Col. Everett Peabody's patrol. ( You could hear a lot of shooting going on in the not-too-far distance, despite how quiet this looks. ) I'm too old now for such foolishness, and never really cared much for such anyway, with the notable exception of the 125th Antietam which featured a stunning dawn attack through the cornfield.

The reason I specified which Shiloh, I understood it was the 150th but which one... AOT, or Blue&Gray? There were 2 reenactments going on at the same time. I was at the AOT(Army of the Tennessee).

Last edited:
The reason I specified which Shiloh, I understood it was the 150th but which one... AOT, or Blue&Gray? There were 2 reenactments going on at the same time. I was at the AOT(Army of the Tennessee).

Sorry - I'd forgotten all about there being TWO Shiloh events at the same time! ( Probably because it's SO unbelievably STUPID! ) It was the larger of the two - I forget what it was called. ( Blue-Gray Alliance? Or was that the other one; or something else altogether? ) The area was just outside the NPS boundary and south of the park entrance.
The smaller event of the 2 was held on land where the 145th anniversary Shiloh had been held back in '07, which I had also attended.

One aspect about it I DO remember, though, now that I think about it: In my OTHER Shiloh photo I entered in a separate thread you can see the huge puffy white clouds building above the Confederate infantry waiting to go into battle; by evening they had turned into a MONSTER thunderstorm we sat outside our tent watching as it passed to our east, supposedly drenching the OTHER event and even damaging tents, etc. due to the high winds! ( Shades of the 135th "Mudlo"! ) Where we were - NOTHING.

Back