Davis Davis and his Governors

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
Stephen D. Engle's book on the Union War Governors got me thinking about those of the Confederacy, and how little (published) information there seems to be on them. I hoped this thread could try to give some information on the Southern governors and Davis' relations with them.

From what I gather Governor Joe Brown of Georgia allowed those who enlisted in the Georgia State Militia to avoid service in the Confederate Army. The irony was that the GSM was more or less useless when Sherman entered Georgia.
Governor Zebulon Vance of North Carolina was said to withhold supplies to the Confederacy. @jgoodguy would know more about that.
Leftyhunter

After several examples of state governors exercising states' rights - Georgia threatened to secede from the CSA, the NC governor refused to allow any but NC soldiers to use his state's supplies, various gubernatorial calls for arming the slaves . . . etc. Jefferson Davis said, “If the Confederacy falls, there should be written on its tombstone: ‘Died of a Theory.'”

Here are a list of the Confederate governors from December 1860 to 1865:
Alabama
Andrew B. Moore (1 Dec. 1857-1 Dec. 1861)
John Gill Shorter (2 Dec. 1861-1 Dec. 1863)
Thomas H. Watts (1 Dec. 1863-1 May 1865)

Arkansas
Henry Massey Rector (15 Nov. 1860-4 Nov. 1862; resigned)
Thomas Fletcher (acting) (4 Nov. 1862-15 Nov. 1862)
Harris Flanagin (15 Nov. 1862-18 April 1864)

Florida
Madison S. Perry (5 Oct. 1857-7 Oct. 1861)
John Milton (7 Oct. 1861-1 April 1865; died from accidental gunshot wound)

Georgia
Joseph E. "Joe" Brown (6 Nov. 1857-17 June 1865)

Louisiana
Thomas O. Moore (23 Jan. 1860-25 Jan. 1864)
Henry W. Allen (25 Jan. 1864-2 June 1865)

Mississippi
John J. Pettus (21 Nov. 1859-16 Nov. 1863)
Charles Clark (16 Nov. 1863-22 May 1865)

North Carolina
John Willis Ellis (1 Jan. 1860-7 July 1861; died in office)
Henry Toole Clark (7 July 1861-8 Sept. 1862)
Zebulon B. Vance (8 Sept. 1862-29 May 1865)

South Carolina
Francis Wilkinson Pickens (14 Dec. 1860-17 Dec. 1862)
Milledge L. Bonham (17 Dec. 1862-18 Dec. 1864)
Andrew Gordon Magrath (20 Dec. 1864-25 May 1865)

Tennessee
Isham G. Harris (3 Nov. 1857-12 March 1862; still recognized as governor by Confederates)
Robert L. Caruthers (elected 1863, never took office)

Texas
Sam Houston (21 Dec. 1859-16 Mar. 1861; resigned after refusing to swear allegiance to the Confederacy)
Edward Clark (16 Mar. 1861-7 Nov. 1861)
Francis Lubbock (7 Nov. 1861-5 Nov. 1863)
Pendleton Murrah (5 Nov. 1863-17 June 1865)

Virginia
John Letcher (1 Jan. 1860-1 Jan. 1864)
William "Extra Billy" Smith (1 Jan. 1864-9 May 1865)

Last edited:
While we think of the states interfering with the Confederate war effort, Stephanie McCurry in Confederate Reckoning sympathizes with people like Brown of Georgia and Vance of NC. Facing tremendous challenges, they were doing their best to relieve the hardships of soldiers' families, to contain the social and economic disruption of the war on their states.

While we think of the states interfering with the Confederate war effort, Stephanie McCurry in Confederate Reckoning sympathizes with people like Brown of Georgia and Vance of NC. Facing tremendous challenges, they were doing their best to relieve the hardships of soldiers' families, to contain the social and economic disruption of the war on their states.
You're right Matt. These men were not officials of the CSA. They were elected as the chief executives of their respective states and were responsible, first and last, for the well being of their states' residents. I'm not sure of the constitutional obligations of the state governors (north or south) toward providing men and supplies to the Federal government, but those men obviously believed that their states took priority. My guess is that any federal confiscation of men or supplies (north or south) might fall under the President's war powers, but we'll need a better versed constitutional scholar to tell us how all that would work under each constitution.

That is a lot of governors in a four year period. I know some states had biennial elections, but even so! I have read of Northern governors straining to reach quotas for soldiers that were put on them by the federal government, and that each state was required to supply arms, etc. for said soldiers, but cannot recall if similar quotas were put Confederate states.

You're right Matt. These men were not officials of the CSA. They were elected as the chief executives of their respective states and were responsible, first and last, for the well being of their states' residents. I'm not sure of the constitutional obligations of the state governors (north or south) toward providing men and supplies to the Federal government, but those men obviously believed that their states took priority. My guess is that any federal confiscation of men or supplies (north or south) might fall under the President's war powers, but we'll need a better versed constitutional scholar to tell us how all that would work under each constitution.
In the latter part of the war, Confederate army squads would conscript men over the objections of governors.

In theory, States could refuse the call for militia & supplies in both. In the end, the CSA governors fell in line.

That is a lot of governors in a four year period. I know some states had biennial elections, but even so! I have read of Northern governors straining to reach quotas for soldiers that were put on them by the federal government, and that each state was required to supply arms, etc. for said soldiers, but cannot recall if similar quotas were put Confederate states.
Richard Current wrote of the fact that Northern states sent recruiter's to Southern states to recruit Unionist soldiers to fill vacancies in their state regiments to fill their mandated quotas.
Leftyhunter

Richard Current wrote of the fact that Northern states sent recruiter's to Southern states to recruit Unionist soldiers to fill vacancies in their state regiments to fill their mandated quotas.
Leftyhunter
That must have been a task fraught with danger! I wonder how many signed up? It might have been unpleasant for any family left behind.

I believe it was NC Governor Vance that had a problem early on with promises made when his troops enlisted, concerning flag, elected officers, and unity of the command when put into confederate service. The argument with Davis is documented and I can probably locate it, if asked to do so. Later i the war another problem creating conflict with Davis came from Mississippi, and Alabama (possibly) where the law of conscription overrules certain laws of state militia, and exemptions. This latter reference will be to harder to locate, but if requested, I will try. Thanks. (I have the hard copy volumes they located in.)
Lubliner.

I believe it was NC Governor Vance that had a problem early on with promises made when his troops enlisted, concerning flag, elected officers, and unity of the command when put into confederate service. The argument with Davis is documented and I can probably locate it, if asked to do so. Later i the war another problem creating conflict with Davis came from Mississippi, and Alabama (possibly) where the law of conscription overrules certain laws of state militia, and exemptions. This latter reference will be to harder to locate, but if requested, I will try. Thanks. (I have the hard copy volumes they located in.)
Lubliner.
I look forward to the documentation.

Bear with me as I try to be brief. The Volume II (2) in OR Series IV; Correspondence, Orders, Reports, and Returns of the Confederate Authorities, July 1, 1862 to December 31, 1863. Many times the Governor will deal with a Cabinet Official seeking lenience or guidance.
1st# page 67-69, Henry Clark to Jeff Davis; stating the conscript law, section 2 has not been observed, with full explanation. 8/22/62.
2nd# page 71-72; Clark to Randolph, Sec. of War regarding partisan ranger formation and its detrimental effect on soldiery in NC, by law of confederacy, 8/28/62.
This discourse continues between private secretaries. This is a totally exclusive volume concerning government correspondence beyond the battle fields. You might also look into the Navy OR Section 2 Volume II (2) where a congressional committee investigates Mallory of Florida for corruption concerning the Tift Brothers, and the role played in the destruction of CSS Mississippi. (Steerage).
Lubliner.

I look forward to the documentation.
There were many problems to be faced when the confederacy was formed, and most are visible, but that does't solve the problem. The Confederate structure was set up at first as a shadow type government that was to supersede the existing militia organizations; transferring authority from one shoulder to the other. Things just don't fit squarely with one rule over all 7 to 11 to ....*n. states, so complications exist. It is much easier to read and acknowledge than it is to write and footnote each fact. But requirements do suggest that we should by neglect, ignorance or simple mischief, lead too far afield. I liken it to the Hotchkiss Oath of Allegiance: "I do solemnly swear to draw my maps correctly so as not to bring calamity by virtue of the land displacing the sea." Of course, exceptions can be had.
Lubliner.

There were many problems to be faced when the confederacy was formed, and most are visible, but that does't solve the problem. The Confederate structure was set up at first as a shadow type government that was to supersede the existing militia organizations; transferring authority from one shoulder to the other. Things just don't fit squarely with one rule over all 7 to 11 to ....*n. states, so complications exist. It is much easier to read and acknowledge than it is to write and footnote each fact. But requirements do suggest that we should by neglect, ignorance or simple mischief, lead too far afield. I liken it to the Hotchkiss Oath of Allegiance: "I do solemnly swear to draw my maps correctly so as not to bring calamity by virtue of the land displacing the sea." Of course, exceptions can be had.
Lubliner.
It would have been interesting to see the politics in a CSA without a war.

It would have been interesting to see the politics in a CSA without a war.
I might be able to give some documentation on the pleasant peaceful harmony the Confederate Government attempted to describe, while emissaries were sent forth, complaining how the north wished to exact vengeance against them. Live in peace, and Davis' favorite saying, "We just ask them to let us alone." But that would be a different thread. The problems between statehood and a national identity exist, and the top line is the heading. Thanks,
Lubliner.

Series IV, Volume II (2), page 114-115 OR; 10/10/62:
Zeb Vance to Randolph--
"....on my return home I find Major Mallett has received orders to send all the conscripts to certain brigades without regard to their wishes or to the promises made them by a Confederate General. This has produced the greatest disaffection...."
Lubliner.

Randolph to Letcher of Virginia, page 123 (see above), 10/10/62.
Regarding cadets at the Military Institute of Virginia, on exemption from conscription;
"....not to surrender any cadet who may be claimed as a conscript by the Confederate Authority,... and that you will aid me in adjusting the difference without a resort to force."
Lubliner.

Back