David

It looks like he didn't want to miss the war. I mean, we all know it was going to be over in 90 days. He wasn't even from that county. Why did he go there to enlist in Company C, 7th Georgia Infantry? The Paulding County Rifles. Yet, he was from Campbell, a County that exists no longer in the state of Georgia. This area is now Douglas County. Was he going to miss it? I think, yes. He went to the best way to get into the fray. I know he had relatives there, and they served in other units. But, he chose this.

He was wounded at the first battle of the war (HE DID NOT MISS IT!!), Manassas (strange, spell check says that's wrong). He had his right arm amputated, and spent healing time in the Richmond hospitals. He was discharged in early December 1861. He did not miss it. He was home for Christmas. By February 1862, he'd married the Irish girl he grew up with as a neighbor. Issabelle. She gave him a child. I appreciate love stories.

In August of 1864, the union army came through that place and arrested Issabelle for treason for working at the Manchester Mills factory. Sherman's army then sent her and fellow co-workers north to Indiana. She was never heard from again.

This man had his arm taken, his wife and the mother of his child, taken. Ya done good yankee boys. Thank you, Abe.

I visited his grave not too long ago. It turns out that I used to live less than two miles from where he is buried. It's strange to find these things out, in the end.

I'm going to replace his headstone. He died in 1889. His mamma and sisters buried him (the 1870 widows and orphans census). They did the best they could, but the survivability of the existing headstone is questionable.

It looks like he didn't want to miss the war. I mean, we all know it was going to be over in 90 days. He wasn't even from that county. Why did he go there to enlist in Company C, 7th Georgia Infantry? The Paulding County Rifles. Yet, he was from Campbell, a County that exists no longer in the state of Georgia. This area is now Douglas County. Was he going to miss it? I think, yes. He went to the best way to get into the fray. I know he had relatives there, and they served in other units. But, he chose this.

He was wounded at the first battle of the war (HE DID NOT MISS IT!!), Manassas (strange, spell check says that's wrong). He had his right arm amputated, and spent healing time in the Richmond hospitals. He was discharged in early December 1861. He did not miss it. He was home for Christmas. By February 1862, he'd married the Irish girl he grew up with as a neighbor. Issabelle. She gave him a child. I appreciate love stories.

In August of 1864, the union army came through that place and arrested Issabelle for treason for working at the Manchester Mills factory. Sherman's army then sent her and fellow co-workers north to Indiana. She was never heard from again.

This man had his arm taken, his wife and the mother of his child, taken. Ya done good yankee boys. Thank you, Abe.

I visited his grave not too long ago. It turns out that I used to live less than two miles from where he is buried. It's strange to find these things out, in the end.

I'm going to replace his headstone. He died in 1889. His mamma and sisters buried him (the 1870 widows and orphans census). They did the best they could, but the survivability of the existing headstone is questionable.

Welcome!

I'm going to replace his headstone.

Why do you want to replace it?
I had an ancestor who had a old civilian headstone maybe erected in 1867. The family wanted to replace it and lists his regiment, etc. I started to order a replacement VA headstone. But we discussed it further. We were replacing his mother's headstone as well. She died in 1867 and that is when I think they laid headstones on both the mother and son. We liked the original headstone but it was "dissolving" over time.

We decided to go a different route. We had a new base made and the original headstone was inserted into the base.

RobertCole.JPG

Just an idea for you.

Back