Chickamauga Chattanooga Dave Powell's Chickamauga/Chattanooga Annual Study Group (Tour)

ExNavyPilot

2nd Lieutenant
On his Chickamauga Blog (an excellent source of info for those interested in the Chickamauga campaign), author/battlefield guide David Powell just announced the schedule for his "CCNMP Study Group 2012 Seminar in the Woods," an annual tour of Chick/Chatt sites that go deep into selected aspects of the campaign. Tour will be Friday, March 9 and Saturday, March 10, 2012.

This year, the tour will cover the Union 21st Corps movements into Chattanooga and Ringgold prior to the battle, Thomas' retreat on 20 SEP and defensive positions on 21 SEP, Van Cleve's Division on the 19th and Thomas Wood's actions on the 20th, and an optional Sunday side trip to Andersonville. Cost is $35 which covers the bus for the Friday travels (Saturday is a walking tour on Chickamauga.)

I attended my first CCNMP Study Group last March (2011) and found it exceptional. Dave (who wrote the outstanding Maps of Chickamauga and Failure in the Saddle) was joined by park historian Jim Ogden for an excellent tour and discussion of McLemore's Cove, Viniard's Field and Dyer's Field.

Not only are the tour guides experts in the topic, the people who attend this tour are normally very knowledgeable on the battle and contribute lots of good info. I highly recommend this Study Group to anyone interested in learning more about Chickamauga.

Check out Dave Powell's post on the Seminar at http://chickamaugablog.wordpress.com/author/davidpowell334/ , and then read all his earlier posts. You'll find it time well spent.

I've known Dave for years, but never face to face. One of these days, I will take one of his tours and I will not be surprised to know that it is everything he promised. The bad thing is that he almost always schedules them when I can't be there. (Yeah. The sun doesn't rise and set over my somewhat attractive butt.)

I wish I could be there as well. But in my job I manage to be able to schedule a "traveling" vacation only once in four or five years, that's usually devoted to seeing family - either mine or my wife's. Getting to Chattanooga, even though it is my hometown, just doesn't look to be in the cards for a while.

Ole and rhp6033--

I hear you both. My trip last year was a special treat; my 21 yr old son & I drove the 10 1/2 hrs to Chattanooga, stayed in a cheap motel and made it a fun father/son vacation. Not sure I'll be able to make it this year, but I hope there are some forum readers who will be able to take the opportunity.

On his Chickamauga Blog (an excellent source of info for those interested in the Chickamauga campaign), author/battlefield guide David Powell just announced the schedule for his "CCNMP Study Group 2012 Seminar in the Woods," an annual tour of Chick/Chatt sites that go deep into selected aspects of the campaign. Tour will be Friday, March 9 and Saturday, March 10, 2012.

For those of you who viewed this post earlier, please note the date changes. Dave Powell sent out an email indicating that his previously posted dates (16-17MAR) were in error; should be 09-10 March 2012.

Back