Dark Lantern

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Navy O.R.-- Series I--Volume 4 [S# 4]​

Operations On The Potomac And Rappahannock Rivers.
January 5 To December 7, 1861. pp. 501-555

Subenclosures.]​
FLOTILLA STEAMER FREEBORN,
Lower Potomac, June 26, 1861.
[excerpt]
You will further be pleased to send in the boats all the tar you have on board the Pawnee, a gallon of spirits of turpentine in a can, all the shovels and all the coal bags you have, except twelve retained to handle coal with; all the oak-um you have, not exceeding one bale in quantity; a quantity of old canvas, all you can possibly spare, and your gunner's dark lantern. Send also every ax and hatchet you have, except the cook's. The launch and boat you will see are provided with their kedges and all other expeditionary outfits, as prescribed in the ordnance regulations, including howitzer for the large boat, if you have two and one is fitted to sailboat.
You will, while your boat expedition ordered down to Nanjemoy is serving as I intended at Matthias Point, let the Reliance visit me at least once every day, and twice or oftener if convenient with other duties you may need her for.
I am, sir, respectfully,
J. H. WARD,
Commander, U. S. Navy, Comdg. Flotilla of the Potomac River. Commander S. C. ROWAN, U. S. Navy,
Commanding U. S. S. Pawnee, Potomac River.
---------------------------------------
Navy O.R.-- Series I--Volume 9 [S# 9]​

North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
From May 5, 1863, To May 5, 1864. pp. 252-304

Report of Acting Rear-Admiral Lee, U. S. Navy, forwarding statement of J. J. Orrell concerning affairs at Wilmington, N. C.​
U.S.S. FLAGSHIP MINNESOTA,
Off Newport News, Va., November 12, 1863
[excerpt]
The blockade runners make Craig's pole or Big Hill, which is 2 miles south of Masonboro, or 18 miles north of Fort Fisher; used to have signals from 12 to 14 miles above Fort Fisher, but have no guns or pickets on the beach since I took that Whitworth gun in August. The first signal station is now 7 miles north of Fort Fisher; the signal watch stands on a scaffold 15 feet high, and waves in the direction of Fort Fisher, a burning ball of cotton and spirits turpentine, which is repeated along the coast to Colonel Lamb, of Fort Fisher, who tries to cover the runner, who, on running down from Craig's pole, makes a light from dark lantern to the signal watch on the scaffold.
--------------------------------
The lantern was solid on one side and light on the other half. To hold it up and have light shown away and not light all the way around.

[See Bulls-eye lantern-Confederate term for same like device]

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!