CWT Presents Darin Wipperman - First for the Union: Life and Death in a Civil War Army Corps from Antietam to Gettysburg

Added to Calendar: 02/03/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1611446212508.png

CivilWarTalk Presents:
Darin Wipperman
author of
First for the Union:
Life and Death in a Civil War Army Corps from Antietam to Gettysburg

Wednesday, February 3, 2021, at 8:30pm EST

In A Live Video Presentation

Corps histories remain one of the last gaps in Civil War military history. Hundreds of regimental histories have been written since war’s end, many brigades have been covered, the armies have been explored . . . but corps remain relatively overlooked—not because they are an unimportant or unappealing subject, but because mastering the subject is so difficult, requiring knowledge of many commanders’ careers, dozens of constituent units, and many battles. Few are willing to tackle the subject. Darin Wipperman has taken on the task and produced a monumental history of the Army of the Potomac’s First Corps, well written and deftly told, an exciting story in itself and, like all great unit histories, one that is representative of the many other corps in the Union army.

Mr. Wipperman worked most recently as a reporter and editor for weekly newspapers in New Hampshire. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Northern Iowa and currently lives in Lancaster, New Hampshire.
Register Today!

Seating is limited! You don't need to be a CivilWarTalk member to attend the presentation.

Don't forget to mark the date on your calendar!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, it's time to register for the Wednesday night live with Darin Wipperman, author of First for the Union: Life and Death in a Civil War Army Corps from Antietam to Gettysburg. You don't want to miss this opportunity to learn more about the Army of the Potomac's First Corps! Register today using the link in the OP above.

Wednesdays are just terrible for me.... This is another one I'd love to join but probably wont be able to. Am reading his book now as it is good.
Go ahead and register and if you get freed up any time before 10pm click in to see if we are still chatting. Sometimes, presenters stick around and chit chat after we turn the recording off. I don't know if Mr. Wipperman will or not, but it never hurts to come see.

Ok everyone, if you havent already registered, it's not too late. Go ahead and get signed up and make plans to join tonight at 8:30pm EST when out guest will be Darin Wipperman on his book, First for the Union.
REGISTER

It was such a pleasure to host Darin Wipperman tonight! If you'd like to learn more about the First Corps of the Army of the Potomac, you can find Mr. Wipperman's book, First for the Union: Life and Death in a Civil War Army Corps from Antietam to Gettysburg, published by Stackpole Books at amazon.

Below you will find the questions from tonight's chat log. If you have additional questions, feel free to post them here. Darin Wipperman is CivilWarTalk member @LibertyAndUnion and he has offered to address additional questions here at CWT.

08:34 PM James W. - Mr. Wipperman, what is your opinion on where the shot that killed John Reynolds came from - the "sharpshooter in the barn," volley fire from the Tennesseans, friendly fire, or something else?

08:38 PM Jeff P. -Was it hard to balance viewpoints from different Divisions? There's so much writing from and about the Iron Brigade. Did you have to purposely balance that?

08:45 PM @Michael W. - How long did Reynolds and Buford confer before Reynolds rode out into the field and ultimately his death?

08:45 PM @Red Raider - The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteers lost 316 of 496 troops on the first day of Gettysburg. During the course of the war, is there a single Regiment in 1st Corps or the entire Union who lost more that 64% in a single day?

08:50 PM @NH Civil War Gal - Is the Antietam Collection at the Baker Library at Dartmouth?

09:04 PM @Red Raider - "tired, sore, hungry, dusty, and dirty as pigs." Everything a good Infantryman lives for!

09:13 PM Lawrence K. - Its my understanding that the First Corps was permitted to retain their distinctive corps badge despite being transferred to another corps in the consolidation.

09:15 PM @gentlemanrob - I enjoyed your presentation!

09:15 PM @Red Raider - Thank you, Darin.

09:15 PM Jeff P. - Was there any indication of rivalries / disagreements between the ranking officers of the Corps? Did Hooker / Reynolds begrudge division commanders?

09:15 PM @gentlemanrob - Thank you, Darin

09:16 PM Patrick S. - Thanks Darin. Excellent.

09:17 PM @OldReliable1862 - Thank you Mr. Wipperman!

09:17 PM @NH Civil War Gal - Please consider joining Civilwartalk.com! It's free!

09:19 PM @gentlemanrob - Wasn't General Wadsworth a US Congressman from New York?

09:20 PM Jeff P. - Had lost the race for NY Governor in 1862

09:20 PM @OldReliable1862 - Thanks sir!

09:35 PM @LibertyAndUnion thanks to all!!!!!!

I really appreciated Darin's comments concerning the importance of junior officers and the wonderful examples he offered. That alone would have made the presentation worthwhile. The entire presentation was a most enjoyable learning experience. My hat is off to you, sir.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful and positive comments. You've made my day and weekend!!

Last edited:
Back