Danville Missouri Oct 14th, 1864

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant

CIVIL WAR​
The following is reprinted from the May 1, 1996 Warrenton Journal
Montgomery County, which was set off from St Charles County in 1818, included all territory now constituting Warren County. On January 3, 1833, the Legislature passed an act organizing Warren County out of Montgomery, taking off the eastern and southeastern part from Montgomery County. It is said that this was done for the benefit of John Ramsey, who lived on this "Southeastern Portion" and wished to remain in Warren County.
In 1833, the County Seat was at Lewiston (Lewiston was located west of present day High Hill), but the year after the organization of Warren County, the county seat of Montgomery County was moved to Danville. All records pertaining to what is now Warren County, covering the years 1818 to 1833, were in Montgomery County books and were stored at the county seat.
Of the tragic local events of the Civil War, the burning of Danville is perhaps one of the most noted.
The dreadful ransacking, torching and murders on the night of October 14, 1864, was one of the worst of the "bushmen" bloodbaths. In Missouri, guerrilla warfare was the total war, a continuous design of retaliation, Locally; the scene was no different.
On September 27, "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his guerrillas slaughtered 24 unarmed troops at the Centralia, Missouri massacre. Newspapers carried horrible accounts of towns ransacked and pillaged. The stunning tales told of the bushmen's sudden descent of towns where men, women and children alike were ambushed, tortured and killed. Days before the Centralia massacre, Anderson's guerrillas had killed and mutilated 11 members of the Third Cavalry MSM, formed in Warren and Montgomery counties.
After the Centralia massacre, on October 10, Anderson joined General Price at Boonville. The guerrillas paraded in the streets, displaying their plunder. Price sent Anderson out with written orders to destroy the North Missouri Railroad. Proceeding through Williamsburg, the band of more than 50 bushwhackers descended on Danville at sunset. Some citizens in Williamsburg drew a plan of Danville and gave Anderson a complete description of the situation. The guerillas were assured that no soldiers were there, but that there was a blockhouse standing in the street into which the citizens expected to go should the town be attacked.
The band of guerrillas included Anderson's trusted Lt. Archie Clements, 22, who knew the area well. Frank James, Jesse's brother, Bill Stuart and the Berry brothers, Dick, Jim and Ike, were there as well. Tuck and Woot Hill from Johnson County rode with them. Every man was heavily armed, with no fewer than four revolvers, and riding thoroughbreds. The group paused just west of town, along the Boones' Lick Road to muffle their horse hooves with sacks. It was about 8:30 p.m.
An excerpt from the "History of St. Charles, Montgomery and Warren Counties" describes the events that followed: "The first seen of the band was when it had reached the top of the hill on Boone's Lick road west of Loutre Creek. Here Alexander Graham, out after a physician, saw and heard them approaching, and, without being seen by them, sprang over a fence and crouched down in the corner. The guerrillas went by him with the rush of an express train, all talking and swearing and making a dreadful din. "At old Benjamin Whites nearly two miles west of Danville, they halted. Mr. White was an old pioneer and a "Southern sympathizer" but it did not matter. The guerrillas robbed him of his money and watch, and certain other articles, rode their horses into and about the yard, and abused the family shamefully.
The townspeople had been uneasy for days, fearing an attack. A Blockhouse had been built in the street near the southeast corner of the Courthouse Square. The courthouse was in the process of being dismantled, and only a shell remained. A troop of Union soldiers had been stationed at Danville, camping in the courthouse, but they had moved east about five miles to protect the railroad. The Montgomery County records were stored in the Watkins and Drury Store across the street. Anderson had estimated he would net $50,000 from the county treasury. A group of men gathered at the Watkins and Drury to assign guard duty and were suddenly surprised. Anderson himself led the column, turning aside after rounding the corner to yell, "Fire on them".
As then terrible scene opened, the guerillas charged the citizens, riding and firing upon them. Two men M.A. Gilbert and Henry Diggs were killed instantly, on the sidewalk. Dr. Wright had tried to save them. The band spread out through the town.
Laura Draper, a 15-year-old student at the Danville Female Academy, later wrote her sister Eliza that ""Mr. Johnson's the first house fired" and the blockhouse was in flames immediately.
"A bushwhacker went into Johnson's house and set fire to some oats, when Johnson knocked him down with his gun after wounding another and then ran. He (Johnson) felt satisfied that he had killed him and a week or two afterward his bones were dug for and found in the ruins of the house", she wrote.
Benjamin Palmer, who was wounded in the doorway of his home, lay still until the bushwhackers rode off, taking him for dead. When the flames from his home became too intense, he crawled into the yard, pulling some planks over himself. Palmer's wife and Mrs. Sharp passed by without hearing his weak cries for help. Several Hours later, Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Hughes discovered him.
Dr. Samuel Moore, a lifelong resident, lived in the southern part of town near the academy. Not realizing the large number of guerrillas, Moore grabbed his gun and headed toward the town square after first hearing the attack. He ran directly into the attackers' midst and was able to unhorse one before a half-dozen bushwhackers descended upon him. He fought valiantly, but was killed near the stable, having been shot and beaten.
Nearly the entire town was in flames. The first alarm was about 8:30 p.m., and the bushwhackers left about midnight. When the local people saw the huge number in the band, they headed for the woods instead of the blockhouse. This undoubtedly saved many lives. The young ladies at the Danville Academy were unaware of this, though, when the guerilla arrived at the school. The bushwhackers told the girls the men were burning in the blockhouse. The horrified girls pleaded for their release.
Many of the girls scattered into the woods, clad only in their nightgowns. Some remained at the school, calling out to the attackers, "'We are rebels", which is said to have been what saved the school. Professor Robinson had fled to Washington in Franklin County and left Professor Watts in charge. Robinson's wife hastily gathered her husband's private papers into a sack and hid them in the bushes. As the guerrillas entered the academy grounds, torches in hand, one advanced to Mrs. Robinson with his pistol. Demanding the keys to the chapel, believing Union troops were hidden there, he threatened to burn the school unless she produced the keys.
The noise was fearful. Girls shoved their trunks down the stairs and cried hysterically. A flag of truce was created by tying an undergarment to a pole. As attempts to save Mrs. Robinson became desperate, a captain of the guerrillas arrived and ordered, "Take that pistol from that woman's breast", Mrs. Robinson begged his protection to spare the academy, as the girls did also; Her wish was granted.
In the eastern part of town, 12-year-old Ira Chinn stood in the doorway entrance with the scene before him. A squad of guerrillas rode up and shot the young man. Arson, robbery and murder were the order.
The town was in flames, Watkins and Drury was gone, as were irreplaceable county records dating back to 1818. The Radical Printing office was ransacked. Every house believed to be of a Union family was burned. Laura Draper writes her sister: "I never saw such distress in my life as I saw that night".
As the guerrillas left town a few of the prisoners they had collected were released with the order that if they left town before sunrise, they would be shot. As the bushwhackers departed, they caught Merrill Simons, a schoolteacher, and William Ellis, a blacksmith. They were placed on horses and taken to Mrs. Powells where a buggy was absconded for the wounded. Simons was questioned as to whether he had been in the federal army, by Arch Clements, Anderson's Lieutenant. When the answer was yes, Clements turned and shot Simons.
The guerrillas left Danville, heading on the Boones' Lick Road to New Florence. When the depot was reached, they found Union army uniforms intended for troops stationed at Rhineland on the plateform. The stores were gutted, and the uniforms were donned.
By sunrise, Anderson's men reached High Hill. More stores were pillaged, but no fires were set, except at the rail depot and the water tank.
In one moment, civilians lives were upturned, everyone's life was "on the front" with abandonment of the social norm. Intimidation and violence were the rule with no matter as to what your sympathies were. Provocation met with retaliation on every front. Lives of an entire town, such as Danville, could be swiftly shattered in one night.
On October 27, 13 days after he burned Danville, at a point near Orrick , or Camden, in Ray County, Anderson was killed by the Davies County militia, under Col. Cox and Maj. Grimes. Six human scalps were found attached to his horses bridle and on his body was six revolvers, $300 in gold, $150 in silver, two gold watches and some orders from General Price.​
Expired Image Removed
javascript:void(0);

Expired Image Removed Expired Image RemovedExpired Image Removed
This is the accepted history of the Danville Raid. Suffice to say my research as shed doubts on it. Last night a friend and I walked the ground, and discussed this, so I thought I'd post it here.

I know the area and about the raid well. It was in my area of haunts in Missouri. Not far from where I lived. It was like many of Anderson's raids/actions quick and brutal. Whether lead by Clements or Anderson, it is in dispute as some say Anderson was at Glasgow. I would like to say he was there. The Danville Female Academy was an impressive complex. The Draper sisters (students) said they saw him there. The only remaining buildings of the academy still standing is the chapel and dormitory.

I know the area and about the raid well. It was in my area of haunts in Missouri. Not far from where I lived. It was like many of Anderson's raids/actions quick and brutal. Whether lead by Clements or Anderson, it is in dispute as some say Anderson was at Glasgow. I would like to say he was there. The Danville Female Academy was an impressive complex. The Draper sisters (students) said they saw him there. The only remaining buildings of the academy still standing is the chapel and dormitory.
I think Anderson was in Glasglow but I'm not certain Clements lead the raid. In my mind currently I think probably it was the Barry brothers (from Williamsburg )or Tuck Hill. The lack of mutilations and rough treatment of bodies was Lil' Archies stock and trade, this was not in evidence at Danville.
As to the Drapper girls IDing Anderson there is question as to whether they knew what he looked like......this was not his unusual area of operations. But I am confident that he and WCQ were both in Glasgow.

This particular band seemed to draw very little distinction between Federal soldiers and ANY civilian, whether unionist or secessionist. They seemed to prey on everyone by the summer and fall of 1864. Sure, they ambushed and fought militia when they could. When there were no militia targets available, they'd rob banks, stores, coaches, riverboats, houses...whatever. They had devolved into freebooting predators. I have long thought (but I can't prove) that Anderson's band (with help from George Todd) was really responsible for a lot that happened at Lawrence.

Well there is a theory about the Danville Raid also unproven but from an investigative stand point holds water as a possible.
The Barry brothers were from Williamsburg (you can dang near throw a rock from Danville to Williamburg) their sister or sisters reportedly were "abused" by militia or former militia/federal's from Danville among them Simmons Diggs and others killed in the raid. As to whether abused means rape, beaten or verbally assaulted is unknow .
The Barry boy's were given permission to "avenge" the family honor and "pay back" Danville.
Also raided in semi-compliance with Price's order were the Depots at New Florence and High Hill.
Danville was not on the RR so it's kinda strange it was raided and burned.

Well there is a theory about the Danville Raid also unproven but from an investigative stand point holds water as a possible.
The Barry brothers were from Williamsburg (you can dang near throw a rock from Danville to Williamburg) their sister or sisters reportedly were "abused" by militia or former militia/federal's from Danville among them Simmons Diggs and others killed in the raid. As to whether abused means rape, beaten or verbally assaulted is unknow .
The Barry boy's were given permission to "avenge" the family honor and "pay back" Danville.
Also raided in semi-compliance with Price's order were the Depots at New Florence and High Hill.
Danville was not on the RR so it's kinda strange it was raided and burned.
I hadn't heard your story before, but I agree that it sounds very plausible.

I hadn't heard your story before, but I agree that it sounds very plausible.
Its pretty much local lore in certain circles but again no way of calling it valid.
Another one says Montgomery City hired Anderson to sack and burn Danville during the county seat struggle. This one I discount with a giggle.

Its pretty much local lore in certain circles but again no way of calling it valid.
Another one says Montgomery City hired Anderson to sack and burn Danville during the county seat struggle. This one I discount with a giggle.
I'd only accept the second story if Anderson himself had sacked BOTH towns. That would be more like Anderson.

Back