NF Daniel D. Lewis: LINCOLN Your opinions ???

Non-Fiction
I enjoyed the movie. I show it in my Government classes to show the struggle to get the amendment passed.

Really? I would question whether that sort of wheeling and dealing, pressure and chicanery is any way to enact a profound change in the life of a nation, regardless of how strongly one considers the change to be needed.

Was it Mark Twain who said two things of which you should never see how they're made are sausages and law? :wink:

Lincoln was not the hero historians claim he is with the emancipation he only freed slaves in the states that seceded.otherwise Maryland would have seceded had he freed them all surrounding Washington DC with Confederate states he was just another politician

Lincoln was not the hero historians claim he is with the emancipation he only freed slaves in the states that seceded.otherwise Maryland would have seceded had he freed them all surrounding Washington DC with Confederate states he was just another politician

This is really about the movie, rather than arguing about Lincoln. Plenty of other threads for that!

Great film. Probably the best Civil War film ever. Much of the dialogue tracks reports of what Lincoln actually said. Lewis is great.

Some of the criticism of the film’s title and coverage are misplaced. “Gods and Generals” had no actual gods. “Gettysburg” hardly covered the whole battle, in spite of its title.

Didn't see the Lincoln movie, but I liked Lewis best as Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans. He was also good in Gangs of New York, but I didn't like the movie overall.
Gangs of New York was a terrible film with a great performance by Lewis.

If you were to show Lewis films like My Left Foot, Lincoln, and Gangs of New York to a friend who was unfamiliar with DDL, he might not guess that they were all starring the same actor.

Last edited:
They did a pretty good job in the makeup department. Lewis and Sally Fields both.
Wardrobe department wasn't to shabby either.

Screenshot_20191011-151846_Google.jpg

Last edited:
The movie is about the 13th Amendment which freed all the slaves so I guess he wasn’t just another politician by your own standards. Right?

Many people consider Daniel Day-Lewis the best actor who ever lived. I may have my own view on who was the best actor of all time, however, Daniel Day-Lewis has won more academy awards that any male actor. He certainly deserves to be discussed when we talk about the best actor of all time. It does not really matter if you like Lincoln as a President or not, one has to admire Daniel Day-Lewis work in the movie.

Daniel Day-Lewis is an incredible actor and really seems to inhabit whatever role he dives into. That is probably why he retired after just one more film five years after Lincoln in 2017. Maybe just too much of a mental strain considering how much he throws himself into it and he felt like he wanted a break or has done all he set out to do as an actor. Watching him portray Lincoln, I really felt like I was watching the man himself and it is amazing to see other characters he has inhabited over the years as an actor.

I loved the movie, but to be honest, I wish it would have been an 8 part series on HBO that encompassed the entire war. Unfortunately, probably no chance of getting Lewis to stay in character or commit to a project that would have taken that much time.

Back