DANA, Napoleon Jackson Tecumseh USA

DANA, Napoleon Jackson Tecumseh
Born April 15 1822, Eastport ME
Died July 15 1905, Portsmouth NH
Pre-War Profession Graduated West Point 1842, Mexican war, resigned 1855, banker, militia officer.
War Service October 1861 Col. of 1st Minnesota, Ball's Bluff, February 1862 appointed Brig. Gen. of Volunteers, commanded 3rd Bde/2nd Divn/II Corps in Peninsula campaign, Antietam (w), November 1862 promoted Maj. Gen. of Volunteers, commanded defences at Philadelphia, served on Texas Gulf, commanded districts on the Mississippi River, commanded Dept of the Mississippi.
Post War Career Businessman, railroad executive, deputy commissioner of pensions.

Napoleon Jackson Tecumseh Dana was my GG Grandfather, I have an old family pedigree book that was compiled probably around 1940 or earlier that was passed down to me, along with a few other things I could post later today when I have time, but here is one page for now from the pedigree book.

The 2nd scan is from further back, starting with Capt Luther Dana where the first page left off;

1.JPG

2.JPG

Back of page one notes per "see #16,19 21 back of this page"

1b.JPG

Last edited:
Letter from General Dana to his grandson Alfred who worked with the roads dept, page 1 and 2, July 10th, 1905 just 5 days before General Dana passed away.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

Alfred L Dana's Blue Cross card, 1955 (Grand son of General Dana) The street address no longer exists as the house was demolished and a new street and houses built over the former site.

Census for 1940
Alfred L Dana and family, 68 Hicks Ln, Great Neck, NY the house still stands today looking much as it did in Googl streetview.

Screen Shot 55.jpg

nanny, elizabeth, sister and langdon dana.png

Back