Dan Sickles at 1st Massachusetts Monument Dedication?

So I was scrolling through some photos on monument dedications for Massachusetts Gettysburg regiments and I came across this photo from the 1st Massachusetts' monument dedication on July 1, 1886.
1mass.jpg

Standing in front of the monument is a man in a large black hat with a mustache. Could it be Dan Sickles? I can't tell if he is missing a leg but it does appear he is holding something with his hand as it looks like his right arm is positioned at an angle as if he is leaning on a cane.

This picture of Sickles was taken at Gettysburg in 1886. Looks to be the same hat almost and maybe jacket.
sickles.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
mass sickles crop.jpg

Boy, hard to tell. It doesn't seem to be the same hat, coat does seem similar. Fellow here seems slightly more portly but that could be Sickles' ego all puffed up. Guessing if anyone could find his recollections from that day we'd know. If he was anywhere, doing anything at all he told all of us about it.

View attachment 297622

Boy, hard to tell. It doesn't seem to be the same hat, coat does seem similar. Fellow here seems slightly more portly but that could be Sickles' ego all puffed up. Guessing if anyone could find his recollections from that day we'd know. If he was anywhere, doing anything at all he told all of us about it.
The hat is different but they could be taken at different times of the year. The trees in the Sickles photo appear to be bear, meaning it may have been fall or winter or early spring. The monument dedication was on July.

Looks to be the same hat almost and maybe jacket.
And above all, the same beard!!
I think it is him, although the hat is different. In the first photo it seems to be his general's uniform hat with emblem, worn for the formal occasion, in the photo with the two other gentlemen it's a civilian hat.
But look at the jawline and the ear, his ear sits pretty deep, at the end of the jawline in both photos. I think it's him. Great find, congratulations!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)