CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour - the official thread

Added to Calendar: 10/25/19, 10/26/19, 10/27/19

Will you be attending the CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour?

• Total voters
I hope to show up and meet all of you !

I thought I would share a historic tid bit about that phrase.

All my life . . . I've heard Baptist, Methodist, and other "Ministers" say this .

It has nothing to do about a small stream of water.

It's about the Creek Indian Nation 'rising up' against the settlers in what is now Alabama
during the War of 1812.

Google Fort Mims Massacre for details.

Sorry to go off topic.

Ahh that's where it comes from … thank you

This is my first Tour to go on so I have some questions.

Q: Can we bring Guests who are not CWT members? I know it is probably too late to book the room--that is okay. Just assume they could show up for the tour. I just wanted to know what the rules were. Sorry, but I was so excited about the tour and blabbed too much.

Q: Are there anymore deadlines for signing up for something? I think there was a deadline for the Thursday relic dig. Do we need to signup for any of the meals, etc? I tried going back through this thread to review everything but I don't want to miss any due dates.

Q: @ucvrelics Do you need donations of items for the door prize?
I thought a copy of the second volume of Osprey book "American Civil War Artillery 1861-1865 (2): Heavy Artillery" would be a fine reference book for a tour of Vicksburg Campaign.

Q: Can we bring Guests who are not CWT members? I know it is probably too late to book the room--that is okay. Just assume they could show up for the tour. I just wanted to know what the rules were. Sorry, but I was so excited about the tour and blabbed too much.

Q: Are there anymore deadlines for signing up for something? I think there was a deadline for the Thursday relic dig. Do we need to signup for any of the meals, etc? I tried going back through this thread to review everything but I don't want to miss any due dates.

I thought a copy of the second volume of Osprey book "American Civil War Artillery 1861-1865 (2): Heavy Artillery" would be a fine reference book for a tour of Vicksburg Campaign.
Happily, our Gatherings are pretty free-form; the organizers of this event will answer your specific questions, but as for the first one, guests are most certainly welcome - hope to see you there!

Guest are more than welcome and the room block is still open at the Hampton until Sept 15th. Full Breakfast, drinks and hors d'oeuvres will be provided to all Hampton Inn guest. Be sure to us the code CWT when you book.

I went by the Beechwood restaurant Thursday and we are all set for our dinner on Sat night. I also went by McAlisters and got the box lunch menu for our picnic at the USS Cairo. I will be getting everybody order Friday as they have to have them Friday night and they will be delivering them to the Cairo on Sat.

The relic hunt is scheduled for Friday morning so let me know.

If you would like to donate something for a door prize that would be great.

Host Hotel: Hampton Inn & Suites
3330 Clay Street, Vicksburg, MS 39183

Phone: 601-636-6100 or Book On-Line and make sure you us group code CWT

Room Rate: $125 per night and includes Free Deluxe Breakfast each morning with a Managers Social every evening in our CWT Meeting Room. Free WI-FI and parking are included.

RESERVATION Methods: For reservations call 1-800-HAMPTON and state you are with the group code CWT, or go online to https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/h...n-inn-and-suites-vicksburg-VKSBGHX/index.html and enter group code CWT. Reservations must be received by September 15st, 2019 thereafter, reservations will be taken on a space available basis only at our rack rate of $145.00

Heck I'm getting more and more excited about this just because of the relic hunt, and finally seeing the USS Cairo. To bad my Dad has passed on, my one trip ever to Vicksburg he was in agony from gall bladder stones and only wanted to see that ironclad and him having been to Vicksburg several times over the decades and that being the only sight he was interested in and never seeing, and my 14 year old self walking the entire battlefield and drooling over trenches forced him to miss it. His then medical condition only caused him to hold a grudge for a few days wanting to ring my neck. Good times.

I am ready to close that family book on the Cairo. Not to mention super ready to hit Raymond.

Well the CWT Countdown ticket for our event says there are 45 days left until we rally in Vicksburg. @ucvrelics has already announced that our room block/rate at The Hampton Inn has been extended to September 15th. Just want to tag a few members of CWT,as a reminder, who have expressed an interest in attending but haven't reserved a room at The Hampton or otherwise expressed an intention to attend.

@scone
@Karen Lips
@rebracer
@Patrick H
@Boonslick
@Big Sarge
@Booner
@Cavalry Charger
@major bill
@Belle Montgomery
@rbsmith7
@Polloco
@Lubliner
@mt155
@Vicksburger
@KLSDAD
@CLuckJD
@J. D. Stevens

Might be a bit early to say this but it can be said again later. If you have any period clothing,hats, accoutrements etc.,please bring them. We had some fun with it last year. At our last camp meeting,one of my SCV brothers gave me a Confederate sack coat that fits really good. It's cavalry but I'll just be dismounted. Ordered a kepi from C&C Sutlery and got it today. I'm still the worst selfie taker but that's part of my charm. :D I'm flanked by Andy Thomas' "The Guns Of Vicksburg" and Don Troiani's "Colorbearer,1st Texas Infantry,C.S.A. 1862".

IMG_20190911_200058625.jpg

Figured I might as well put the sack coat and kepi on and take the world's worst selfie again. When I came home from the SCV meeting and tried the sack coat on in front of a mirror,my spouse saw me and called me a "nerd". I do kinda look like one. Gotta stop smiling in uniform. :D

IMG_20190911_202721163.jpg

Figured I might as well put the sack coat and kepi on and take the world's worst selfie again. When I came home from the SCV meeting and tried the sack coat on in front of a mirror,my spouse saw me and called me a "nerd". I do kinda look like one. Gotta stop smiling in uniform. :D

View attachment 325057
Your going to have to go all in and get period eyeglasses now

So.... Is it a come in period uniform gig now? I can do that, my gear may all mostly be 1864 Trans-Mississippi, but I'd come out in uniform.

20180116_152127.jpg

Badly overweight, with a farby kepi, (my good slouch hat died a horrible death one night at the paws of my dog after an event several years ago), but wrong theater and year and I'm still more authentic than @bdtex :D.

So.... Is it a come in period uniform gig now? I can do that, my gear may all mostly be 1864 Trans-Mississippi, but I'd come out in uniform.

View attachment 325099

Badly overweight, with a farby kepi, (my good slouch hat died a horrible death one night at the paws of my dog after an event several years ago), but wrong theater and year and I'm still more authentic than @bdtex :D.
At our Chickamauga gathering last year a few of us had hats and one couple wore period attire at our Saturday night dinner. I might wear my attire at our Hotel Manager's Socials on Thursday and Friday night.

Back