CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour - the official thread

Added to Calendar: 10/25/19, 10/26/19, 10/27/19

Will you be attending the CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour?

• Total voters
Its looking increasingly like I won't be able to attend, between a job that's supposed to start in September, and an recent invite to attend the Cedar Creek reenactment with a friend from those parts who had ancestor who knew and was beside my ancestor in the Stonewall Brigade, (awesome story I'll have to share some time) and the chances of a Virginia tour afterwards, (along with several other enticements lol), I will probably not be able to invade Vicksburg.

I hate it, was really looking forward to it, but too much stuff is popping up at that time that I either have to tend to, or can't pass up on. But who knows, something between now and then may happen to enable me to attend Vicksburg.

@DixieRifles I am not involved in any aspect of the planning for the Vicksburg Tour but certainly will be glad to stop and pay my respects to General Lee with you. After all he did serve as the 1st President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Mississippi, for which I forgive him.:bounce: So come on down and we will commiserate on how much we hate Nick Saban!!
Regards
David

Last edited:
Just finished these 4 books ( the Shelby Foote book covers Vicksburg in Chapter 4, The Beleaguered City ). All great reads.
Which one would you recommend for a beginner to the Vicksburg campaign? Once I return from my trip to the Eastern theater in mid-July, I plan on starting studying the Vicksburg campaign and the Western theater. I should be able to read two or three books until October, maybe four. One of the books on my agenda is the Grant bio Triumph over Adversity. Other suggestions are welcome! :smile:

@DixieRifles I am not involved in any aspect of the planning for the Vicksburg Tour but certainly will be glad to stop and pay my respects to General Lee with you.

Thanks for your kind respect.

Who was that general who was a president of Oxford Junior College?

… As there are only 174 days left before our get together, does anyone have any further recommendations.
Which one would you recommend for a beginner to the Vicksburg campaign? Once I return from my trip to the Eastern theater in mid-July, I plan on starting studying the Vicksburg campaign and the Western theater. I should be able to read two or three books until October, maybe four. One of the books on my agenda is the Grant bio Triumph over Adversity. Other suggestions are welcome! :smile:

I believe I may have mentioned this before, but Receding Tide by Ed Bearss and Parker Hills is and excellent book published by National Geographic that compares and contrasts all the events of 1863 up through Gettysburg including Chancellorsville and the entire Vicksburg Campaign, though it's admittedly short on the siege itself. For my full review: https://www.civilwartalk.com/thread...by-edwin-c-bearss-with-j-parker-hills.156481/

1557171717676.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind respect.

Who was that general who was a president of Oxford Junior College?
Are you referring to the revered gentleman Alexander Peter Stewart, a stalwart servant of the South and a scholar. ? As expected of someone who would claim allegiance to the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Mississippi, the correct name of the Institution of Higher Learning in Oxford is The University of Mississippi! The Flagship of the state of Mississippi's universities and colleges of post secondary education.
Regards
David

I have always liked ballards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006SLRBJ8/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

9.99 with kindle

You know its haunted, don't you! It will interesting to hear your "experiences."

Yes! Also JamesN will be staying there too. We've stayed at supposedly "haunted" places before, but seen nary a "haint", although I got some good "orbs" at Gettysburg a few years ago!. I will be looking!

Yes! Also JamesN will be staying there too. We've stayed at supposedly "haunted" places before, but seen nary a "haint", although I got some good "orbs" at Gettysburg a few years ago!. I will be looking!

By the way - I made our reservation a few days ago, and it looks as if they have plenty of vacancies, in case anybody wants to stay at a more "period" place than the Hampton. (and actually a bit cheaper)

You and James?
Mike didn't say, but we plan on arriving sometime Wednesday, for anyone else arriving early on Wednesday or Thursday. He'll be flying into Jackson but I plan on just driving over from here in Northeast Texas - it's only about 300 miles, as I remember, and Interstate or U.S. highways most of the way, a straight shot east for me once I get to Marshall on I-20 all the way to Vicksburg.

Mike didn't say, but we plan on arriving sometime Wednesday, for anyone else arriving early on Wednesday or Thursday. He'll be flying into Jackson but I plan on just driving over from here in Northeast Texas - it's only about 300 miles, as I remember, and Interstate or U.S. highways most of the way, a straight shot east for me once I get to Marshall on I-20 all the way to Vicksburg.
Ima try to leave very early on Thursday morning and drive up from Houston. Wanna have time when I get there on Thursday to maybe do something there I haven't done before.

I'm going to RSVP when my work schedule in October gets hammered out.

Given the most drastic change in moving from one copper mine to another my work schedule is about to shift radically. Thankfully it's about 5 months before this meetup, and I've been told the work crew I'm going to is off that week of the Vicksburg meet-up.

Back