CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour - the official thread

Added to Calendar: 10/25/19, 10/26/19, 10/27/19

Will you be attending the CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour?

• Total voters
Latest on weather from local forecast;

Thursday will be beautiful.

Friday is rain all day. If it is raining Friday morning, I’m assuming we will visit St. Mark’s Episcopal church and receive a lecture from General Hills in Raymond. I will contact him Thursday to find out.

The good news is that the local meteorologists seem to think the rain might be gone in the Vicksburg area by early morning Saturday, with Sunday and Monday looking perfect.
Thanks for the update. Can't sleep tonight. Not yet anyway. See you tomorrow. I drive a gray,twin cab Toyota Tacoma with Texas plates. Wake me up if I'm asleep when y'all get to Grand Gulf. :biggrin: Bring coffee. :smile coffee:

Latest on weather from local forecast;

Thursday will be beautiful.

Friday is rain all day.

Quote from the National Weather site. Temperatures for 3 days range from night low of 57 to high of 70.

Tonight
A chance of rain between 2am and 5am, then showers likely after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8am. High near 65. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Friday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 60. Northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Saturday
Showers before 8am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 8am and 2pm, then a chance of showers after 2pm. High near 66. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 51. Calm wind.

No Yankee gunboats in sight at GG

IMG_20191024_093751068_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow morning we will meet at the Visitor Center in Raymond and see what weather is doing. If it is raining, General Hills will give lecture at Visitor Center. If it is not, we will leave there and tour battlefield.

Visitor Center is located behind the Raymond Courthouse. I don’t know the address of visitor center but if you put in Google Map “Raymond County courthouse” it should direct you near it. Again, the visitor center is behind the court house on Court Street. (See close up map below)

Leave Vicksburg going east on I-20 and exit at Edwards (about 10 miles).
Take right. Go about 100 yards.
Take right at stop sign. Go about 1 1/2 mile.
At 3 way stop sign go straight and directly over the bridge crossing railroad tracks. Stay on this road for about 8 or 9 mile until you reach Raymond. You will ascend a hill.

Just past the St.Marks church (small white church on your left), take a left on N. Oak street (this road is in between St. Marks and Courthouse). Go about 50 yards to stop sign and take right.
The visitor center is the first brick building on left as soon as you turn

Below: Closeup view of St. Mark and Courthouse area. Visiter Center circled.

748C6D34-BD98-4217-857D-9906651F60EE.jpeg

I'm loving that diorama!

Oh and see everyone tomorrow. Due to frustrating Confederate uniform work, (I got to have 'em done before a reenactment near Thanksgiving), I'm kinda hoping to see some original Confederate uniform items in Vicksburg. Seeing new stuff in person is always an inspiration. I'm mainly reminded of a photo from the Old Courthouse Museum on Civil War Album where one was pictured. That and the Cairo are the most interesting things to see for me this trip. Oh and the battlefield again, after 15 or 16 years.

I took even more photos of it on Tuesday that I'll post later.

For anyone planning to meet in the morning for the Grand Gulf/Port Gibson trip, we have changed the meeting place to the outlet malls of Vicksburg which is on the S. Frontage Road not far from the hotel where @rebel brit is staying (Comfort Suites.)

We will meet at 9:30. I’m going to suggest we meet in front of The Gap store in the Outlet Mall. Since @rebel brit and James N. do not have a cell phone, hopefully they will get this message here I think they are on a haunted tour right now in Vicksburg.
There were NO computers in our B&B and of course since we don't have phones we don't have them either. Today (Wednesday) is the first I'm seeing this, and so it's a little late!

I wonder WHY Grant Circle was closed off when we were there on Saturday???
There was work done on the trees. When I went back into the park on Monday morning, I parked in front of the road block and hiked it to Grant's HQ - thanks for that suggestion, @bdtex and @alan polk ! I couldn't quite find out whether the trees had come down by a storm or were taken down by the workers. There was a section on the road that was blocked by nothing but branches and leaves.

There was work done on the trees. When I went back into the park on Monday morning, I parked in front of the road block and hiked it to Grant's HQ - thanks for that suggestion, @bdtex and @alan polk ! I couldn't quite find out whether the trees had come down by a storm or were taken down by the workers. There was a section on the road that was blocked by nothing but branches and leaves.
Indiana Jones has nothing on you.

Back