CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour - the official thread

Added to Calendar: 10/25/19, 10/26/19, 10/27/19

Will you be attending the CWT Invades Vicksburg 2019 Tour?

• Total voters
Bobby, are the cannons on private property or freely accessible any time?
They are on Raymond Military Park property and are accessible from sunrise to sunset.

2017-02-11 14.53.25.jpg

Well, if everyone who is available for Friday morning are going to be here Sunday as well, maybe we should consider moving the Raymond and Champion Hill tour to Sunday. That will open up plenty of time to concentrate solely on a morning / early afternoon relic hunt (which I would like to do as well) and time for a more expansive tour of Grant’s interior Campaign on Sunday.
I won't be there on Sunday afternoon in all likelihood. The Raymond Battlefield Tour on Friday morning was my idea but I already sorta took your Raymond Tour on a Saturday afternoon via text messaging in February 2017(I know you remember that :D ). I also took Sid Champion's private tour of Champion Hill that morning. If enough folks wanna do Raymond and Champion Hill also with you and are gonna be there on Sunday afternoon,I guess it makes sense to move it to Sunday afternoon. We might need to wait a day or 2 to see how much more interest there is in Champion Hill.

Ok. I’m in Natchitoches, Louisiana right now so I don’t have my list of folks, but it seemed like all the folks who were going to Raymond wanted to do Champion Hill too.

Off the top of my head those folks were: @luinrina, James N., @rebel brit, @Drew, @Ole Miss. I might be leaving a name off the list, or may have added one, but I think that’s what I had written down.

Maybe they can chime in with their thoughts, etc. I’ll be in Louisiana until Sunday.

Well, if everyone who is available for Friday morning are going to be here Sunday as well, maybe we should consider moving the Raymond and Champion Hill tour to Sunday. That will open up plenty of time to concentrate solely on a morning / early afternoon relic hunt (which I would like to do as well) and time for a more expansive tour of Grant’s interior Campaign on Sunday.
Am I right in thinking Friday morning would still be the Relic hunt . Sunday morning would be the 4 VNPS sites followed in the afternoon by the Raymond and Champion Hill tours.
We will be around until Monday so this would work fine with us.

Am I right in thinking Friday morning would still be the Relic hunt . Sunday morning would be the 4 VNPS sites followed in the afternoon by the Raymond and Champion Hill tours.
It would appear so if the Friday morning Raymond Battlefield thingy gets moved to Sunday.

Ok. I’m in Natchitoches, Louisiana right now so I don’t have my list of folks, but it seemed like all the folks who were going to Raymond wanted to do Champion Hill too.

Off the top of my head those folks were: @luinrina, James N., @rebel brit, @Drew, @Ole Miss. I might be leaving a name off the list, or may have added one, but I think that’s what I had written down.

Maybe they can chime in with their thoughts, etc. I’ll be in Louisiana until Sunday.

Alan, we're six months out and I really need to think this through, but I would really like to see Champion Hill. As much as I'd like to dig in the dirt with @ucvrelics, I'm pretty sure he can be coaxed out to do it in another time and place.

This is a one shot deal for me to see this place. For now, I'll go with what works for the group.

Alan, we're six months out and I really need to think this through, but I would really like to see Champion Hill. As much as I'd like to dig in the dirt with @ucvrelics, I'm pretty sure he can be coaxed out to do it in another time and place.

This is a one shot deal for me to see this place. For now, I'll go with what works for the group.
So Sunday is a no-go for you, just Friday?

I will make either work, just want to be clear whatever works for the group to see Champion Hill, I'm on board.

Thanks for your willingness to walk us through it.
No problem. The bottom line is we’ll get you out there. Hopefully, Sunday will work for you. But if this is your one -and-only shot to see Champion Hill, you and I can skip the relic hunt and go Friday and then I’ll take the rest Sunday. It won’t be a problem.

My original thought (therefore suggestion/preference) was to spend at least one day seeing as many and as much of the Campaign sites as possible in the time available. I've run around in the area before on several occasions and think it preferable to proceed from one to another sequentially/chronologically because of their closeness to one another. For example, on one previous afternoon visit back during the Vicksburg Sesquicentennial we drove on the Raymond Road through the battlefield of the Big Black, then to Tilghman's death site and reconstructed Coker House to the Raymond sites. It wasn't chronological at all but was a convenient route with at least a few stops at different important places.

My original thought (therefore suggestion/preference) was to spend at least one day seeing as many and as much of the Campaign sites as possible in the time available. I've run around in the area before on several occasions and think it preferable to proceed from one to another sequentially/chronologically because of their closeness to one another. For example, on one previous afternoon visit back during the Vicksburg Sesquicentennial we drove on the Raymond Road through the battlefield of the Big Black, then to Tilghman's death site and reconstructed Coker House to the Raymond sites. It wasn't chronological at all but was a convenient route with at least a few stops at different important places.
I agree. My initial plan was to lead the group from Vicksburg to Port Gibson Road (not the town but road), then along Grant’s route on this road into the interior - Rocky Springs, Cayuga, Dillon’s etc, to Raymond and then to Champion Hill, Big Black, Warriors Trail then back to Vicksburg.

Now that it has been moved to Sunday, this option might still be available if folks want to see it that way. I think Sunday activities in Vicksburg proper ends at noon. So it would have to begin around that time. Don’t know if we’d have enough time to squeeze in Grand Gulf or not.

That’s kinda my thoughts about Sunday.

That's in line with my original suggestion: Friday - Bus/auto tour of the Vicksburg Campaign sites, led preferably by @alan polk @Championhilz @7th Mississippi Infantry or other local expert(s) who can point out and explain the sites we visit and relate them to each other. (Of course the specific day doesn't matter - that was just an early suggestion.) It would be counter-productive time-wise to go out there on more than one occasion since they could all be linked together on a single trip. And like @Drew I'm far more interested in the battlefields themselves than any potential relic-hunting.

It was just a thought as that is way to many people for me to bring thru the hunting camp side:D I can solve the relic hunting thing. We just don't do any relic hunting.

I can solve the relic hunting thing. We just don't do any relic hunting.
I don't think there's anything to solve. The interest is there and what one does on Friday morning is optional anyway. Relic hunting in Raymond sounds great to me.

Back