Brass Napoleon Award CWT Chickamauga 2018- We're going live

We've still here covering the retreat
Just got back from visiting Resaca and Allatoona Pass and planning on working our way down to Andersonville before flying home on Thursday.
Brilliant work from @bdtex and @lelliot19 for putting this year's event together and already we're looking forward to next year's , wherever it might be.
Will post pics when we're back across the pond.
Nice. Can't wait to see your pictures. That should keep you busy for awhile. Just finished unpacking. Thanks for the book and the miniatures.

I second that! @ucvrelics.com Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! The cannon in the lobby was a great addition to the welcome for participants and I saw several kids and adults not in our group checking it out too! I know all the participants will enjoy their minnie ball displays as a treasured memento of their time at Chickamauga with new (and old) friends. I have to admit, I was really surprised at the display you brought along for the hotel. For those who didnt see it, it was a nice display with an assortment of US and CS relics including a union minnie, a CS Enfield, a CS smooth coat button, a US staff officer button, a couple of other bullets (ucv will have to ID) all in a 5x8 Riker case with a label that said "CivilWarTalk October 2018 Thanks for all your support." It was REALLY nice! Thank you again for your generosity!

Just one little question; did you get a photo?

DSC06481.JPG

The results of my foraging.

DSC06480.JPG

DSC06487.JPG

Well...the tour has officially ended and the troops have disbursed. A few of us have made our way to the Visitor Center. Thanks again to @uaskme for stepping up and delivering a great presentation on Longstreet's Breakthrough. We were in the field for 2.5 hours and the weather was great this morning. He brought a set of maps which were very helpful following the narrative and orienting ourselves on the Battlefield. It was just a great way to end the tour.

I am grinning from ear-to-ear right now. I would say it was a successful campaign. From here I am going into Chattanooga for a few hours then heading home. Taking a lot of memories and a lesser amount of souvenirs. :smile:

Above, the die-hards that had the Moxie to finish the whole tour! (Minus myself since I took the photo, that is.) Following that, several of us repaired to the Visitor Center where we watched the film and viewed the collections. Afterwards, Mike and I returned to Resaca to visit the Battlefield Park which is only open Fri.-Sun. where we found a very helpful and talkative staff member and where we easily passed a couple of hours before heading back to Atlanta and our Monday flights home. Here's a monument in the woods at Resaca we were directed to, in case Bobby and Bill missed it:

DSC06493.JPG

I am still in retreat from our CWT Chickamumga Tour. I plan on making it home on Friday. Do not worry as I left a camp guard on duty on top of my desk. Anyone attacking my office risks this guy falling upon their foot.

Attachments

• 20181030_181303.jpg
    20181030_181303.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 77
EDIT TO ADD: This is a quick dialog summary of one of the more interesting stories we heard, but in recreated/fantasy text-message format. Text message conversations that might have been exchanged between participants if they had text capabilities. All in good fun.
MGRosy=Rosecrans; JNeg = James S Negley; AbBaird = Absalom Baird; BigGenBragg=Gen Bragg; MGHindman = Thomas C Hindman; and ±≥√Hill = DH Hill (math symbols)

The Battle Begins

US
MGRosy: JNeg u go 1st
JNeg: me? wheres AbBaird? y cant he go?
MGRosy: hes way behind.
JNeg: ummm how far behind?
MGRosy: nevermind just go
JNeg: ok but tell AbBaird 2 hurry
AbBaird: u scared rookie?

CS
BigGenBragg: MGHindman u at the cove
MGHindman: notyet where’s ±≥√Hill?
BigGenBragg: duggap
±≥√Hill: not quite yet
BigGenBragg: ±≥√Hill hurry up - yall coordinate
MGHindman: coordinate with ±≥√Hill? yeah right
Funny stuff, Laura...you should do more of these!

We could re-enact Grant's alleged drinking binge. Just kidding! Or am I?

Well, I guess I'll rather keep to Robert E. Lee's favorite drink of buttermilk, then. Not that I'm a spoilsport, but I never saw much sense in spending a lot of money for drinks just to lose control - and feel terrible the next morning.
But that's just me - and one of us should stay sober anyway to take photos that will sure be appreciated by the community :D

And for those who like to follow your suggestion: drinking is just as good as yoga!

Last edited:
Just one little question; did you get a photo?
@bdtex I just realized I never posted a picture of the relic display that @ucvrelics gave to the hotel manager back on October 2018. I think that is what Stanley was asking and I dont know why I never got around to posting it.

The manager was very kind in allowing the Lost Cause cannon into the lobby AND in generously providing us with a FREE meeting room on Friday morning when the weather turned nasty.

Here is the very nice relic display that @ucvrelics gave the hotel manager as an expression of our appreciation....Thanks again Richard!

1552065633994.png

@bdtex I just realized I never posted a picture of the relic display that @ucvrelics gave to the hotel manager back on October 2018. I think that is what Stanley was asking and I dont know why I never got around to posting it.

The manager was very kind in allowing the Lost Cause cannon into the lobby AND in generously providing us with a FREE meeting room on Friday morning when the weather turned nasty.

Here is the very nice relic display that @ucvrelics gave the hotel manager as an expression of our appreciation....Thanks again Richard!

View attachment 295841
It was very nice. I think I saw it at the hotel.

ETA: The buttons was a nice touch.

Back