Brass Napoleon Award CWT Chickamauga 2018- We're going live

Silverdale Confederate Cemetery in Chattanooga. Put my last grave marker flag here. God bless the SCV Camp that maintains this cemetery.

IMG_20181028_135938852_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181028_142344289_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181028_142714788.jpg

Today worked out better than I'd dare hope for - the hotel manager was sympathetic to our plight because of the threatening rain and allowed us the use one of the meeting rooms for our morning presentation! Bobby made the welcome and introductions, Laura passed out the wonderful handout bags, and I made a three hour presentation broken into three segments: the Great Locomotive Chase; the opening of the Chattanooga Campaign; and the Battle of Ringgold Gap. We broke for lunch around noon until 1:30 pm when we met again in the parking lot of the 1850 W&ARR depot in Ringgold. The weather was drizzly and in the 50's but not at all bad and the scene of Taylor's Ridge behind the depot looked like a fitting setting for the Battle Above the Clouds lightly shrouded in mist and fog.

From the depot I was able to point out places and features there and on the ridge I had described in my talk and then we drove in caravan to nearby sites such as where the engine General ran out of fuel and was retaken; Laura pointed out two houses in town that had been used as hospitals/headquarters; Buckeye Bill showed us the way to the N.Y. Monument near the creek; and we finished up at the statue of Pat Cleburne in Ringgold Gap where I read them his report of the battle. Unfortunately, a side trip to the Old Stone Church that was another hospital site turned out to be closed for some reason. We broke up afterward, Bobby, Drew, and Buckeye Bill continuing on to Resaca and the rest going other places or back to our hotel. Tonight we will hold our Gathering dinner at the next-door restaurant in preparation for hitting Chickamauga Battlefield early tomorrow morning.

Ah, wish I could have been there to hear all that. My wife and I enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your collection of images when we were in Gettysburg. Maybe Vicksburg ?

EDIT TO ADD: This is a quick dialog summary of one of the most interesting stories we heard, but in recreated/fantasy text-message format. Text message conversations that might have been exchanged between participants if they had text capabilities. All in good fun.

Reed's Bridge 9/18/1863
US

ColMinty: any rebs?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: rebs in front
ColMinty: wats that cloud of dust?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: more rebs
ColMinty: can u hold em?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: ID thinkso

CS
BigGenBragg: BushyJohn u at the bridge?
BushyJohn: yup but we got more yankez
BigGenBragg: wat kind?
BushyJohn: cavalry wheres CavWizNBF?
CavWizNBF: we r up w 200 Ill lead
BushyJohn: thank goodness
CavWizNBF: u ready u got cannon?
BushyJohn: 2 battries
CavWizNBF: wat u waitin 4 BushyJohn?
BushyJohn: sendin McNair, Fulton, Gregg ...on 3

US
ColMinty: WindyTrdBatty u ready?
WindyTrdBatty: ready
ColMinty: 4MI7PA4US horses to rear?
cav4MI7PA4US: yep
ColMinty: whos that woman?
cav4MI7PA4US: mrs reed and she dont like yankez
ColMinty: get her outa there

CS

CavWizNBF: BushyJohn use cannon
BushyJohn: ooooops
CavWizNBF: what now?
BushyJohn: who was that lady?
CavWizNBF: was?
BushyJohn: new gunner on cannon 3
CavWizNBF: :nah disagree:

US
ColMinty: tear planks off bridge so rebs cant follow
cav4MI7PA4US: ColMinty...2 late on mrs reed
ColMinty: :nah disagree:

Last edited:
Reed's Bridge 9/18/1863
US

ColMinty: any rebs?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: rebs in front
ColMinty: wats that cloud of dust?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: more rebs
ColMinty: can u hold em?
detachcav4MI7PA4US: ID thinkso

CS
BigGenBragg: BushyJohn u at the bridge?
BushyJohn: yup but we got more yanks
BigGenBragg: wat kind?
BushyJohn: cavalry wheres CavWizNBF?
CavWizNBF: we r up w 200 Ill lead
BushyJohn: thank goodness
CavWizNBF: u ready u got cannon?
BushyJohn: 2 battries
CavWizNBF: wat u waitin 4 BushyJohn?
BushyJohn: sendin McNair, Fulton, Gregg ...on 3

US
ColMinty: WindyTrdBatty u ready?
WindyTrdBatty: ready
ColMinty: 4MI7PA4US horses to rear?
cav4MI7PA4US: yep
ColMinty: whos that woman?
cav4MI7PA4US: mrs reed and she dont like yanks
ColMinty: get her outa there

CS

CavWizNBF: BushyJohn use cannon
BushyJohn: ooooops
CavWizNBF: what now?
BushyJohn: who was that lady?
CavWizNBF: was?
BushyJohn: new gunner on cannon 3
CavWizNBF: :nah disagree:

US
ColMinty: tear planks off bridge so rebs cant follow
cav4MI7PA4US: ColMinty...2 late on mrs reed
ColMinty: :nah disagree:
You're killing me. :D

I have to admit I'm a bit lost, @lelliott19 . :confused: Were these fun-dialogues something you heard on the tour?

Oh no. Sorry about that @luinrina Im glad that you pointed out that it wasnt entirely clear. Not quotes we heard - just quick dialog summaries of some of the most interesting stories we heard, but in recreated/fantasy text-message format. Text message conversations that might have been exchanged between participants if they had text capabilities. All in good fun.

Now that it is more clear, I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.:thumbsup: Let me know if you need clarification on who any of the "texters" are - BigGenBragg is General Bragg; CavWizNBF is Nathan Bedford Forrest; WindyTrdBatty is the Chicago Board of Trade Battery. BushyJohn is Bushrod Johnson; ColMinty is RHG Minty - Colonel at the time but later Bvt Maj Gen.

Last edited:
There was a legendary thread a couple years ago, one of my all time favorites, the Battle of Gettysburg in text messages.
And @lelliott19 has recreated that wonderfully.

Look here, @luinrina, but make sure you are alone, because you will laugh out really loud:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/gburg-txt-msg.86108/#post-669120
Thanks for the link and the warning! Just read the first two and already can't stop :rofl:. Have to continue another day though because laughing is right now causing a headache. :sick:

Thank you, Faraway Friend. I was about to ask how that works. But then, it's been decades since I was only 40, so I just bit my lip and stayed quiet.

Well, my 40th birthday was also longer ago that I would like to be reminded...

Thanks for the link and the warning! Just read the first two and already can't stop :rofl:. Have to continue another day though because laughing is right now causing a headache. :sick:

Ouch, that does not sound good! Have a speedy recovery then!

Seriously, fellow member Buckeye Bill and I have done my special tour of little-known bushwhacker sites together. KLSDAD did the same thing with me and with Booner, too. Later, the three of us toured the National WWI Museum...WOW! Then I see a correspondent or two, such as ArchieClement there among the other "usual suspects." It really does my heart good to see you guys having so much fun together.

Just got home and I had a blast, Even with me being unable to walk this morning due to me over doing it yesterday I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the tour of the park yesterday enable me to see parts of the park I had never see in the day time.:D I really want to THANK Bd, Laura and everyone for a job well done.

Just got home and I had a blast, Even with me being unable to walk this morning due to me over doing it yesterday I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the tour of the park yesterday enable me to see parts of the park I had never see in the day time.:D I really want to THANK Bd, Laura and everyone for a job well done.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring lost cause and the gifts, appreciated both and getting to meet you and hear some of your adventures and hunts.

Back